Forums

Forums / Informal Science / Seeking Ideas for a "Career Development" Game

Informal Science

Seeking Ideas for a "Career Development" Game

Author Post
Randy Russell Randy Russell 620 Points

I am looking for examples of 'career development' games. By that I mean games that allow players/students to simulate a career path journey through life, learning about career options in a specific field (such as medicine, or whatever) and making choices that influence their success in such a career. If you know of any examples of such games, I'd appreciate if you would mention the title or a web link to any such games. I don't even care much whether you think a particular game is good; I'm just looking for ideas and examples of game mechanics in this genre. The old Hasbro 'Game of Life' is a generic example of the sort of game I'm seeking. My hope is to develop a game about careers in the aerospace industry. Thanks!

Randy Russell Randy Russell 620 Points

Followup, here's what I've found so far (in case this is useful to others):

CV - tabletop game, mostly cards, circa 2013
The Pursuit of Happiness - tabletop game, circa 2015
The Sims 4: Get to Work expansion pack includes options for a career as a Doctor or Scientist (I think I saw something about an option to be an astronaut in some version of The Sims as well)
GoVenture Products has a bunch of simulations and games (mostly computer-based, but not all) on various economics and career topics; interviewing, running a business, etc.
Pay Day (1975) another old general board game
Careers (1955) and Careers for Girls (1990)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers