Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Preservice Teacher - Incorporating Science to Other Subjects

New Teachers

Preservice Teacher - Incorporating Science to Other Subjects

Author Post
Lauren Wilson Lauren Wilson 200 Points

Hello Everyone! I am a preservice teacher studying Elementary Education at the University of Arkansas. I am interested to ask you all how you have incorporated science in your classroom into other subject? What successes have you had and what things have you tried that may not have worked? Thank you for your help!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Lauren, I am an elementary teacher. I teach in Louisiana. I can always find a science connection no matter what subject I am teaching. For over 20 years I taught 4th, 5th, and 2nd. For the last five years I have been a traveling STEM teacher and most recently, I am a lead teacher and work with all grade levels. The 2nd graders were reading Ox Cart Man and we discussed how Maple Syrup is made. We used an Audubon Field Guide on North American Trees to find out where Maple Trees grow. I even brought in some Maple Syrup for them to smell, taste, and make other observations about. Then I asked who had tried Steen's Syrup. It is made in LA from sugar cane. I brought some in for them to try. It has a much stronger flavor than Maple Syrup. 

We also discussed transportation and how people good the things they needed during the time of the Ox Cart Man compared to the current time. 

The more connections you can make cross curricular and connecting things relevant to students' lives, the better they understand and retain the information. 

Lauren Caldwell Lauren Caldwell 1685 Points

Hi Lauren!

I am a preservice teacher at the University of Northern Iowa! Science is pretty easy to incorportate with history. While I haven't taught a lesson on this to students, I have made a few lesson plans integrating science and social studies. This can be done by talking about fossils or older artifacts and then discussing the culture of the time the artifacts are from and discussing how fossils are formed. Another way it can be integrated is through weather. Weather is a scientific topic and you can discuss natural disasters of the past with younger elementary students. For example, Hurricane Katrina happened oevr 10 years ago, some students wouldn't have even been alive for this event and could learn from it. 

Marissa Strickler Marissa Strickler 1960 Points

Hi there Lauren!

Science is such a broad subject to teach and incorporate into other subjects. I am studying at the University of Northern Iowa and have been into many different classrooms to observe and do mini-lessons for students. Something I remember doing was incorporating different science problems and equations into math. I think that math and science go really well together. I added questions that seemed like they related to science but added math equations and different numbers for my students to solve. If you wanted to incorporate science into more of a physical activity style/game, like physical education, you can use basketballs ( or any different sized balls) to learn about the solar system. Have the students go outside, talk around with the different balls and you can talk about the different planets. This can also incorporate math as well when/in you talk about distance! One more idea I have would be to mix science and social studies/geography together. You can talk about the weather and climate changes that have to deal with science and then ask the students where the birds go when it gets cold. They can answer questions such as why do they go south, which place would be the warmest for them to go, or which places should birds not go if they want to be warm. There are so many different options to incorporate science into the subjects we teach a lot in school. 

Hope this helps,

Marissa

Alison Becicka Alison Becicka 3120 Points

Hi Lauren!

I think that incorporating science into literacy topics is easy to do! I am a student at the University of Northern Iowa and have had an easy time using science topics within literacy. I will say that doing this usually just focuses on students learning disciplinary core ideas rather than science and engineering practices or crosscutting concepts, but is still an easy way to keep students interested in a variety of science topics. In lower elementary right now there's such a huge focus on literacy and reading, and in the classrooms I have been in they have usually ran out of time for any sort of science throughout the day. Doing this can help you meet literacy time requirements in your school while also providing a gateway into science so you can get more done in the little time you have.

I look forward to seeing some other ideas given to you!

Alison

Natalie Skalla Natalie Skalla 2040 Points

Hi Lauren, I am studying elementary education at the University of Northern Iowa. I currently was enrolled in a science class that involved creating science lessons with incorporating other subjects. The easiest of all subjects to integrate in my opinion is literacy and language arts. There are so many informational text out there to use to teach about science topics. Having students do research papers or any kind of writing activity will help them retain information and make more sense of it while integrating multiple subjects. One way I see science integrated into other subjects a lot is with math and using different science problems with math equations. Whether that be with discussing different volume sizes or converting. I have seen these two subjects integrated in many different ways. Another area I have seen integrated with is social studies and using things like weather and geography and how that affected people in the past. Even talking about plants and animals and how that can affect those things too. Another thing I have used a lot lately with lesson planning is artifacts and tying that together with science and social studies. There are a lot of different things out there that could be used to talk about both subjects.

Jenny Diesel Jenny Diesel 885 Points

Hi everyone! I am a preservice teacher from Ohio, and I have found that I can incorporate science into math, language, social studies, and art lessons. Science and math go hand in hand naturally, but I try to make the math concepts my students are studying relative to our science content. In terms of language, I can encourage students to choose independent texts that discuss science concepts. For social studies, I can relate how things like geologic processes such as earthquakes have affected history. Finally, I've found it's easy to integrate art into the science classroom because there's lots of beautiful fun to be had with all types of scientific concepts! One of my favorite projects had students paint using baking soda and tinted vinegar. They loved getting to watch reactions bubble up on their pages, and their finished pieces were really quite beautiful! Keep your eyes open, because science is everywhere!

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hello fellow science teachers,

I am replying you behalf of Funsciencedemos YouTube Channel that is home to hundreds of free videos for ideas for teachers and students to recreate in the classroom. Science is our passion and we are so excited to share our engaging, kid-teacher-parent friendly, and interactive lessons with you to use in the classroom or at home. Our videos adhere to the common core science standards, encompass a wide variety of science concepts, and are specifically geared toward younger learners. All videos on the FunScienceDemos channel come with an English subtitle that can be translated into almost any language, making science lessons accessible virtually any place in the world.  

We encourage you check it out and spread the word! We post new science videos once a month, please subscribe our channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos

Sincerely,

The FunScienceDemos Team

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers