Forums

Forums / Life Science / Does interphase occur only in Mitosis?

Life Science

Does interphase occur only in Mitosis?

Author Post
Serena Nishihara Serena Nishihara 830 Points

Aloha, Colleagues, I would like to know whether anyone of you could tell me whether there is interphase stage in Meiosis and whether there is the G1 stage, S stage and G2 stages in Meiosis or does this occur only in Mitosis? I thank you very much for your help, mahalo and aloha, Kumu Serena

Harriet Smith Harriet Smith 3550 Points

Your question is a thoughtful one. Interphase is 'inbetween dividing time'. For body cells, most of which will resume dividing, interphase might be something 24-48 hours and then the cell will divide again. For sperm cells (having undergone meiosis) there will be no further division possible unless the sperm becomes part of a zygote, then the zygote will be undergoing mitosis, not meiosis. So perhaps there is no interphase because sperm are never inbetween divisions. Eggs also have undergone meiosis and now will never divide again unless fertilized. You never see a interphase mentioned in textbooks for meiosis. I have no special expertise here, I am just reasoning it through. Happy

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Serena,

The NSTA Learning Center has just a resource that can help you sort out your question. They just recently added a Cell Division and Differentiation SciPack. The SciPack is a paid resource so if you don't want to purchase it, NSTA also offers 3 science objects that have the same information as the SciPack. The Science objects are Cell Division and Differentiation: Variation and Specialization of Cells, Cell Division and Differentiation: Multicellular Organization, Cell Division and Differentiation: Variation and Specialization of Cells. These resources discuss the cell cycle, cell division, gene expression, and the differentiation and specialization of cells.

In addition, I would also check out The Biology Project: Cell Biology. It is an online tutorial from the University of Arizona that you can use with your students. I also like to use the interactive portions of Cells Alive.

Ruth

Serena Nishihara Serena Nishihara 830 Points

Aloha, Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Hutson, I thank you every so much for responding to my question. I questioned this because of the fact thst I also did not see in print Interphase mentioned anywhere in the textbook under Meiosis I and Meiosis II. I needed to know this since it made me quite curious about whether Interphase occurs during Meiosis and now I know with the answers which I received from you. Mahalo and aloha for your quick response. Mahalo, Kumu Serena

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Everyone! I put the word mitosis in the advanced search button of the Learning Center and 8 free NSTA member resources came up on this topic:
Movie Mitosis Journal Article
Journal Article
Movie Mitosis
By: Christopher Bogiages and Austin M. Hitt
Grade Level: High School

Tried and True: Presenting mitosis Journal Article
By: Stephanie Roche and Donna R. Sterling
Grade Level: Middle School

Making Mitosis Visible Journal Article
By: Michelle Williams, Marcia C. Linn, and Gail P. Hollowell

The Case Study: The Case of the Dividing Cell—Mitosis and Meiosis in the Cellular Court Journal Article
By: Clyde Freeman Herreid
Grade Level: College

The Case Study: Using a Case-Study Article to Effectively Introduce Mitosis Journal Article
By: Doug Van Hoewyk

Science Sampler: Cancer -- Mitosis run amok Journal Article
By: Kim Cheek

The Case Study: The Case of the Dividing Cell—Mitosis and Meiosis in the Cellular Court (Part II—Court is Back in Session) Journal Article
By: Clyde Freeman Herreid

Science Sampler: Using the arts to enhance science learning Journal Article
By: Nancy Bort

I am so appreciative of all the individuals who take time to share their experiences and expertise as authors of these wonderful resources. Thank you!!!
Carolyn

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Thread Posters,

Ruth and Carolyn shared some outstanding resources about Meiosis and Mitosis. Thank you! Another resource that I've found useful is the University of Leicesler Mitosis and Meiosis website. I really like this website because it succinctly explains mitosis and meiosis and has great visual aids.

Maureen

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

This year I had my biology students make a stop motion video based on the animation seen on the Cells Alive website and the NSTA resource Movie Mitosis. I wanted to share one of the videos that we posted to our school youtube channel.

Mr. DeMille...I'm ready for my close-up....

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Ruth, thank you for posting the video by your students. Viewing it made me think of connecting you with the teacher who is inquiring about cameras and ways to make videos for a middle school classroom. Christian Hardwick started the discussion in the Life Science forum on Digital Photography. ~patty

Opt_out Opt_out Tara Soleta 1560 Points

You all have great recommendations for teaching cell division. I am teaching this concept to my 5th graders this year. Knowing that many elementary students learn the most from hands-on lessons I often try to incorporate them, especially in the early stages of introducing a new concept. I came across a lesson that was both appropriate and engaging. The stages of cell division can’t be seen without magnification, but this lesson can be modeled and practiced. The lesson begins by reviewing the idea of cell division, we discuss the concept of new skin always being formed due to the cells constantly dividing. We then review the sequence of cell division and their actions. Before the lesson you’ll need to do some preparation. Make models of x-shaped chromosomes are made out of pipe cleaners to show the primary action in cell division is to make a copy of the genetic information in the cell. Then, draw a black circle on one side of each paper plate to represent the cell's poles. Cut a notch on one side of one plate so that the black pole of the plate under the top plate shows through. Students will be given one chromosome model, two pipe cleaners, two 5-inch pieces of string, tape and two paper plates stacked with both poles showing. During instruction, have the students copy the first chromosome model with their pipe cleaners. Tell them that this is the copying phase of cell division, called the interphase. Then, tape one end of the string to the black circles representing the cell's poles and the other around the chromosomes. These are the fibers that form during prophase to separate the chromosomes. Instruct the students to line up their chromosome model along the equator of the top paper plate. This is their cell during metaphase. Pull the chromosomes toward the poles with the strings. This is the anaphase stage of cell division. Separate the two plates with one chromosome on each. This is telophase, the final phase of cell division. Each student now has two cells, and cell division is complete!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers