Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Accommodations

Elementary Science

Accommodations

Author Post
Darren Rivas Darren Rivas 430 Points

What accommodations, on an assessment, would you make for bilingual learners who did not fully grasp the lesson that was taught?

Tiffany Snider Tiffany Snider 690 Points

Darren,

I am currently student teaching in a first grade classroom with four English Langauge Learners. My CT and I simplify or reword directions for them, give them manipulatives when appropriate, give them more time when needed, and we give them lots of visual supports. We try to accomodate throughout the entirety of the lesson, so that when it comes time for the assessment, they are more comfortable with the supports and content. I hope this helps! 

JinHa Kim JinHa Kim 35 Points

Some of the accommodations that teachers can make for bilingual learners to successfully take the exam would be to explicitly teach using consistent and concise language, provide step-by-step demonstration, and model the strategies more than once. When we teach directly and unambiguously, we will be helping not only bilingual students but also others in the classroom. The students will better understand what's to be expected and what kinds of strategies will be needed to be successful in assessments. 

Briney Kerner Kerner Briney Kerner Kerner 4423 Points

Hello JinHa Kim, my name is Britney Kerner and I am a pre-service teacher attending Henderson State University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas.  I hope to someday teach a third-grade class.  I was wondering if you would include labels on lab equipment with both the English and Spanish words for the object being labeled?  Do you think this would benefit the English learning students as well as the English-speaking students?  

Shontel Harris Shontel Harris 460 Points

My name is Shontel, and I'd want to introduce myself. Wright State University is where I am currently enrolled. I'm thinking you could provide students with audio (oral) directions, simplified test directions, and/or bilingual dictionaries, as well as more time. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers