Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / 5th Grade Science Activities

Early Childhood

5th Grade Science Activities

Author Post
Baylee Mitchell Baylee Mitchell 775 Points

Hello! 

I am currently student teaching in a 5th grade Science classroom. I love science and think it is super fun! Lately, I have hit a stump on ideas for fun activities to do in class. What are some of your recomendations on fun and engaging activites? I am interested in any ideas because we are currently starting to review for their exams!

Thank you!!

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Baylee -- I would recommend that you look at the monthly feature Teaching with Trade Books in NSTA's Science and Children Journal. Each month, there are two featured books suitable for K-2 and 3-5 with related lessons designed with the 5E format and aligned with the NGSS. Even if you don’t have the suggested books, you could substitute other ones on the same topic. For example, in the November 2019 issue, the topic is “Looking Good: Structural Adaptations and Inherited Traits.”  You can search the S&T archives for other topics and teacher-tested activities and investigations... Mary B

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers