Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / 5E: Migration and Hibernation

Early Childhood

5E: Migration and Hibernation

Author Post
Elvira Ramirez Elvira Ramirez 835 Points

Hi NSTA friends, I am planning a 5E lesson on how the environments affect animals behaviors such as migration and hibernation and would like to hear some opinions and ideas on how I can engage my students in the beggining of the lesson. They are second graders. 

Susan Beren Susan Beren 800 Points

This is a great book I use from Dawn Publications and it is on sale for 40% off right now.  Book has suggested activities and downloads.

Going Home: The Mystery of Animal Migration

(I do migration in November with 2nd graders.)

Amanda Fraley Amanda Fraley 905 Points

For migration, ask your students to think about birds (I am not sure where you live, but for example, here in Ohio we have Canadian Geese that come down every summer) and if they notice anything about certain birds in the area.  Students could work together to discuss their ideas and come up with a rational they want to share with the class.  You could also use sea animals or deer or any other animal in your area that migrates!  

As for hibernation, a fun task is having students work together to find a way for an animal (bear, etc) to survive the winter.  Ask what they would need to do in order to stay alive, if their animal couldn't go somewhere warmer!  What would they need to do?  Would they want to be skinny or fat?  Have a lot of hair or no hair?  Move around a whole bunch or wrap up somewhere warm?

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

https://youtu.be/NwT1e8R4hz0

Hello fellow science teacher,

I am replying you behalf of Funsciencedemos YouTube Channel that is home to hundreds of free videos for ideas for teachers and students to recreate in the classroom. Science is our passion and we are so excited to share our engaging, kid-teacher-parent friendly, and interactive lessons with you to use in the classroom or at home. Our videos adhere to the common core science standards, encompass a wide variety of science concepts, and are specifically geared toward younger learners. All videos on the FunScienceDemos channel come with an English subtitle that can be translated into almost any language, making science lessons accessible virtually any place in the world.  

We encourage you check it out and spread the word! We post new science videos once a month, please subscribe our channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos

Sincerely,

The FunScienceDemos Team

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers