Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / What is STEM for K-5

Elementary Science

What is STEM for K-5

Author Post
Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

Well, I think science instruction based on NGSS, gives us a good start. But I want to hear about it from experts and classroom teachers. All ideas are welcome. I just watched a short interview that I decided to share.

Teaching Engineering Resources

Kathy

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

I didn't find the interview very helpful, Cathy, but there are gobs of resources on engineering design for elementary students in the NLC. Here are a few of my favorite NLC resources on this topic:
Taking Engineering Design Out for a Spin
and
Core Ideas of Engineering and Technology
First Grade Engineers
Carolyn

Wendy Goldfein Wendy Goldfein 2335 Points

We have been gathering ideas and resources as well as writing STEM lessons for teachers. You are cordially invited to explore Get Caught Engineering, a resource site to help teachers and parents connect “classroom learning” with real life applications in STEM: science, technology, engineering and math. Our goal is to provide lessons, blogs, ideas, and resources for hands-on engineering experiences that excite and challenge elementary children. Website: http://www.getcaughtengineering.com And “like” our Facebook page to get continual updates on great engineering resources : https://www.facebook.com/GetCaughtEngineering Our Pinterest page is also filled with ideas! http://www.pinterest.com/getcaughtengin/ We are looking forward to having time this summer to add lots more lessons and resources to our collection. Check us out! Wendy and Cheryl Get Caught Engineering

Thank you for sharing Wendy! I think it is important that we share as many resources as possible whether it is science, engineering or mathematics. Kathy

Debbie Rexing Debbie Rexing 270 Points

Thank you for the great web site locations on engineering. It saved me time and effort.... LOVE IT!

Rachel Legerski Rachel Legerski 5545 Points

Thank you for sharing. I will be joining a new school that is currently being designed. This school will be dedicated and built around STEM principles. I am eager to get my hands on as many resources as I can!

Sarah Perkins Sarah Perkins 3165 Points

Those are some great resources. I am a student teacher and have been assigned to teach the students about STEM careers! These resources will defiantly help me!!

Destiny Huggins Destiny Huggins 10040 Points

Thank you for sharing. I keep hearing more and more about STEM and am very interested in introducing it to my classroom.

Tommy Jerome Baxter Tommy Jerome Baxter 3645 Points

Considering the science and the engineering components when teaching science in the elementary grades has been an approach that is used by many. However, there has been some degree of resistance to the concept. As we move into the future, science, technology, engineering and mathematics integrated as one will be the approach that provides the necessary foundation for the students to become prepared for the uninvented careers of that future.

I am currently taking the MOOC the Art of Tinkering the Art of Tinkering and I see some great opportunities for engineering for ALL children there. We are use circuit boards, the same ones they use at the Exploratorium. I am enjoying the class and I am currently thinking about integrating it into my energy unit 4th grade,

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers