Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / DCI's and Related Formative Assessment Probes

Next Generation Science Standards

DCI's and Related Formative Assessment Probes

Author Post
Page Keeley Page Keeley 4700 Points

Are you looking for probes from NSTA's Uncovering Student Ideas series related to the physical science disciplinary core ideas? Attached is a crosswalk tool for identifying probes in the existing physical science collection. I would appreciate your feedback to find out whether this tool is helpful. It may also be helpful in identifying phenomena as many of the probes use familiar phenomena to elicit students' ideas and explain their thinking.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Page, Thank you for sharing these charts. They will be very helpful to teachers that I teach. Will you be doing any others? I like the fact you will be including them in future books. I have all of your books and look forward to the next one. Betty

The Life Science chart is attached.

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Page! Thanks so much for sharing the crosswalk charts showing have the probes in your Understanding Student Ideas books relate to the Disciplinary Core Ideas. I have used your probes for many years, and this reference chart will undoubtedly help me organize my use of the probes to align to the NGSS. One of the things that I really like about the charts is that they breakout the probes by grade level. This feature will help teachers identify probes that are grade appropriate for a specific DCI. I also really appreciate that you included the volume an year in which each problem is published. I'm curious of there are plans to include these charts in the print versions of the USI books? Thanks! Maureen

Maureen, I really like your suggestion of posting the charts in my upcoming books. I think I will do that for the upcoming Earth and Environmental Science. Thanks for the idea! Best, Page

Arlene- That would be something for NSTA Press to consider. You might think about contacting them and proposing that idea. By the way, I am currently working on Uncovering Student Ideas in Physical Science- Matter and Energy (Vol. 3). Lot's of good energy probes in that book that address energy-related DCI's. Stay tuned! PK

Mitra Surik Mitra Surik 310 Points

I recall that there was a serious issue with the document conversion I had to complete, and I spent a lot of time trying to find a solution. Fortunately, I was able to locate this amazing software at https://pdfguru.com/jpg-to-pdf , which allowed me to quickly and easily convert PNG to PDF without any issues or loss of quality. Such software is difficult to locate elsewhere. Therefore, I urge everyone to do it.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers