Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Elementary School or Middle School

Elementary Science

Elementary School or Middle School

Author Post
Jennifer Dial Jennifer Dial 965 Points

I am pre-service teacher.  I have not started my student teaching.  My certification will allow me to teach through grade 6.  In Maryland, elementary school includes grades K-5, while grade 6 begins middle school.  I am leaning towards teaching upper elementary grades, probably grade 4 or 5, however, I am not totally against moving into a middle school. Based on that information, I have a number of questions. If you were in a similar situation, which did you choose and why?  (I do realize that sometimes the need for a job and job availability can drive this decision.) If you made a transition in either direction, why did you make the move?  Was the change a positive one for you?  Would you go back? Do you feel that there is the chance for team collaboration in a middle school?

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

There are so many options to choose from but sometimes the reality is, you take the job because it is the one offered. You have to choose what works for you and there really isn't a right or wrong choice. Once you get into a position, you will learn a lot from it no matter where you land. As far as team collaboration, that is dependent on your administrators and your team. Sometimes the chemistry just clicks for a team and then there are years where you wonder what the magic formula is to have a great team. Just get used to change, everything changes, teaching is in a constant state of change, and you have no control over so many things. My best advice is, whatever position you get, do the best job you can. My dad used to say that people judge you by the quality of your work. So wherever you land, do your best. I feel like moving from 4th, to 5th, to 2nd, then back to 4th and 5th and 3rd grade has made me a well rounded teacher and even though it was not easy to move, looking back I realize the times I have moved have enabled me to grow as a teacher. Good luck to you!

Briyanna Alexander Briyanna Alexander 765 Points

I am currently in student teaching and I have been told as a first year teacher you should probably go with whatever job is offered to you. I am student teaching in first grade and I absolutely love it! My ideal grade would be second and I am a bit nervous to be in a position where I get offered a job with older students as my certification will be through 6th grade as well. I believe that you can do anything that you set your mind to and nothing is impossible if you put in the effort. In the end I think that you should go with what your mind says and best of luck to you.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers