Forums

Earth and Space Science

The moon

Author Post
Kimberly Ramos Kimberly Ramos 360 Points

What kind of activites can I do with my students to ge them excited about the phases of the moon?

Jessica Hernandez Jessica Hernandez 50 Points

There are many different activites you can do with moon phases they differ depending on the age of the audience. For example for a second grade level you can promote hands-on-activites such as making a model of the different phases of the moon with materials such as styrofoamballs, skewers and paint to show the students a visual of what each moon phase will look like and in what positions they are made. 

Jessica Hernandez Jessica Hernandez 50 Points

How would you as a student feel about hands-on-activites rather than worksheets? What would you prefer as a student? Would the delivery of the content be the same as recieving from a textbook? 

Tania Tasneem Tania Tasneem 185 Points

I just started phases of the moon with my 8th grade students and found this to be a great intro to phases of the moon. It's called Birthday Moon. As an exploration Here is a Lunar Phase Simulator with Student Directions and other Teacher Resources

Laurence Taylor Laurence Taylor 655 Points

Hi Tania, Just wanted to thank you for sharing this resource it looks very promising. I plan on utilizing it for a review/intro into the solar system for my freshmen earth science class. I love how the simulator allows for interaction for all students and gives them a great visual of the moon cycles. I might pair the simulator with either the oreo or softball ideas below just to add a hands on component to the lesson. 

Thanks again!

Erica Hernandez Erica Hernandez 90 Points

Depending on the age of the students, a video to introduce the topic would be great. An activity my 5th grade teacher did with my class was to position a lamp in the middle of the room to represent the sun and gave us wooden spheres on a stick/ dowel to represent the moon, and we, the students would represent the Earth. With this, he had us rotate to visually see the shadow on the sphere and we were able to recognize the phase.

Flor Baldwin Flor Baldwin 205 Points

Hi!

An Activity that I used one time in one of my classes to teach thte phases of the moon was the Oreo activity. You provide each student with 8 oreos (you can pair them up or put them into groups to use up less cookies), and after you have taught the lesson, have the students open up the oreos to when the white cream is on one cookie. They then can shape the cream to look like the phase of the moon. After the activitiy is done, they can eat the cookies if they want. :)

Philip Scamardella Philip Scamardella 2050 Points

Hello, I wanted to teach students about how the shadows of the moon work. I do not completely understand how the phases work, but I do know that because of how the moon orbits one side is always facing us. What kind of a lesson could I create to help clear any misconceptions from myself and of students?

This is my first time on the forum.

Linda Cook Linda Cook 550 Points

I have had the greatest success with this concept by allowing students to physically move objects such as a ping pong ball and a softball around a light source. Students simulate the revolution of the moon around the earth as the earth revolves around the sun. As the moon (ping pong ball) is illuminated by the lamp (sun), have students view the amount of the illuminated surface seen from the perspective of someone standing on the earth (soft ball) in each position. There are also lots of digital simulations of these motions but I have observed the most “aha” moments and students really “getting it” when they work it out themselves using models.

Diane Ripollone Diane Ripollone 3210 Points

With the switch to remote learning for many schools. You can check Infiniscope out. There is a lesson on Phases of the Moon. To access the analytics and authoring platform you can join the community. If you are interested in finding out more see below:

Greetings Science Educators, 

As many schools move to online teaching and learning resulting from precautions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to support teachers with free high-quality digital learning experiences that are aligned to NGSS and can be quickly implemented in your online classroom. They are organized here by content area and topic with a link to the experience. To help you get started, we will be hosting a Quick Start to Infiniscope Webinar on Wednesday, March 18th from 3:30-4:30 PT/ 6:30-7:30ET. Register now to reserve your spot.

You can find more details as well as additional resources in this community document. Feel free to add resources that you think other educators could benefit from. And please SHARE this email with your colleagues and others who may be looking for online resources.

Thanks

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions:

Diane

[email protected]

Camillia Ledbetter Camillia Ledbetter 960 Points

Hey Diane,

Unfortunately, I have not been able to teach the phases of the moon to my students yet due to digital learning and this being my first year but I have several ideas I have been waiting all year to try! This first one was for students to keep a log of what the moon looks like each night for a couple weeks leading up to this lesson. That way when you begin to teach the phases of the moon, you have some data and prior knowledge to work with. I also wanted to complete the phases of the moon flipbook with my students complete with labels, facts, and pictures.

Hope this provides some inspiration

Leylani Grass Leylani Grass 970 Points

I think the Oreo activity that was mentioned above will be a fun activity for students to learn about the phases of the moon. I remember doing that one in elementary school and everyone loved it.

Brittani Coutard Brittani Coutard 645 Points

The phases of the moon are very interesting and very informative for students. Theres lots of activties that the children might fine extremly interesting. For starters you can do the phases of the moon project. Make them cut circles, and shade in the different phases. Put it in a circle on a board and label each phase. Something really engaging a relatable in the oreo activtiy. This is very fun and its sympol the orea comes black with white inside. Open the oreo and take off some to make the different phases as well. Hope any of these work out goodluck. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers