Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Lesson plan on the digestive system

Elementary Science

Lesson plan on the digestive system

Author Post
Dana-Ashli Walsh Dana-Ashli Walsh 3300 Points

For this topic i came up with a simple lesson on the digestive system for 5th grade but of course can be modified for younger students. Students first thought about where food goes after we eat it and how it is broken down. After brainstorming students were all given saltine crackers and told to place them on their tongue. After a few minutes they will be asked if the cracker had became soft. Once that happens they will be able to eat it and then asked why they think the cracker became soft. After discussion the teacher will expand on saliva and how it breaks down food as well as how your tongue and teeth help to chew. A video on how the digestive system works is shown and the students along with the teacher can review the different parts of the system  and then fill out a fill in the blank sheet of each different part of the system.Once the sheets are done the teacher will hand out zip-lock bags and a piece of bread to each group. The he or she will tell the students to put the bread in the bag and he or she will add water. The students in their pairs will close the bag tight and take turns squeezing the bag until the brad is mushy. The teacher tells the students that this is what happened to the cracker and asks the students what the water is acting as. After the review they can discuss ways to help the digestive system like eating healthy. They also can discuss why we need the digestive system. 

Kaylee Nungaray Kaylee Nungaray 3404 Points

This is great! Love this activity and definitely want to try. Thank you very much for sharing!

Mallory Van Winkle Mallory Van Winkle 3190 Points

I think this is a fun activity that students would think is both silly and fun! My question is, are you just talking about the mouth and saliva or will you eventually get to the rest of the system? Thanks for sharing!

Corbin Hatterman Corbin Hatterman 4845 Points

Thank you for sharing you lesson idea, I feel that food would be a great way to get students interested and engaged in the topic.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers