Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / How to Make Elementary Science Exciting

Elementary Science

How to Make Elementary Science Exciting

Author Post
Christina Isakson Christina Isakson 2615 Points

Hello,

I'm an Elementary Education student about to graduate. I've taught a few science lessons in classrooms, and though I like science I feel like my delivery of the lesson can be very flat or boring sometimes as I'm not very enthusiatic about some of the science topics I teach. I've had students in past field classrooms say that their least favorite subject is math/social studies/etc. because their teacher wasn't excited to teach it, so I know students can tell when you're not into the lesson either. How do I make sure the lessons are exciting or interesting for the students when I may not be that excited about them?

Brittany Hammes Brittany Hammes 2665 Points

Hello! I am currently studying Early childhood and elementary education. My professors have taught me multiple ways to make science exciting in the elementary classroom. One very important element is making sure students get out of their seats and are not just listening to a lecture the whole lesson. Incorporating hands-on activities will give students the excitement you are looking for. They can collaborate with their peers and test their hypotheses. Technology is also a very big factor with students today. Most students will be familiar with using technology and most are also interested in it. Technology can also be hands-on, but is much more exciting than paper and pencil every day. Lastly, it is important to focus on what your students are interested in. Always take an opportunity to bring in their interests to activities in school. This will ensure most students will be excited to start the activity and stay engaged. I hope this helps! 

Mason Foster Mason Foster 3015 Points

Hello,

I am a student studying Elementary Education at the University of Northern Iowa. I agree with you that the main reason why students don't find a subject engaging is because it isn’t something they were excited to learn about. I believe the greatest way to get students excited about learning science would be through inquiry based techniques. Try to have as many manipulative as possible so that students can dissect the content just as real scientists would. If students try to create theories and then back those theories up with evidence so they can demonstrate to you and their classmates how they know these concepts in science to be true. I believe that if you design your lessons so that your students are behaving like scientists then they will see the joy and value in science.  

Emma Moss Emma Moss 100 Points

Hi Christina, 

I understand what you are saying, it is clear when the teacher is not excited about the lesson. Remember, energy is contageous, so if you're excited and engaged your students most likely will be too. There are many ways to deliver science lessons because science is all around us and you can encorporate so many ideas! I think if there is a content you are really interested in, try doing some cross cirricular lessons and have that enthusiam carry over into the science part of the lesson. Also, science should be student- driven, allow them to be out of their seats, communicating with peers, hands-on and also allow them opportunities to uncover knowledge for themselves. 

Emma Moss 

Pre-Service Teacher 

Wartburg College

Julianna Otero Julianna Otero 365 Points

Hi! One way I've learned to keep science lessons interesting and enthusiastic is by keeping student's interested and involved as much as possible. This would be by incorportating them through hands on activities, technology, videos, research and relating material to their background knowledge. Having a set that captures their attention will also help set their interest in the lesson. If their curiosity is peaked from the begining, they will most likely be interested in investigating and learning throughout the rest of the lesson. Hope that helps!  

Christina Isakson Christina Isakson 2615 Points

Thank you both! :) Your advice was very helpful. I'll start integrating your suggestions into future lessons.

Kimberly Torres Kimberly Torres 428 Points

Also graduating soon, I feel like this is something I'm super concerned about when I have my own classroom. My professor has given us a lot of guidance on how to keep the class engaged and the biggest way is by having a 'hands-on minds-on' approach in your activities. Students tend to remember things better and overall enjoy what they're learning when they have a part in it. I also think during experiments it's important to take a step back and let students work towards the answer, it's usually more exciting for them this way! I also think the 5E lesson plan is a great way to start! I looked online and found this article helpful https://www.edutopia.org/classroom-student-participation-tips

Good luck! :)

Claire Schroeder Claire Schroeder 170 Points

Kimberly,

Great ideas, but I was wondering what the 5E lesson plan is? Thanks for your help!

Claire Schroeder

Pre-Service Teacher

Wartburg College

Karina Medrano Karina Medrano 500 Points

Hello, as I was reading your post, I think the best way to not make your classroom feel falt or boring and more enthusastic is by incoperating STEM in the classroom.  It is important to provide STEM because it helps expand the vocuably of students by using words such as, trial, experiment, challenge, design, and collaborate.  Having STEM also allows your students to explore scientifc ideas.  Honestly, what is important in a science classroom is for students to be able to explore and get to answers themselves.  It allows you as the teacher to see the thinking behind your students. 

Newstein Chang Newstein Chang 3120 Points

Hi Christina,

Love your question. What I've been taught that makes Science Exciting is by following the 5E Model of Lesson Planning. The five E's standing for, Engagement, Exploration, Explanation, Expansion (or Elaboration, Extension), and Evaluation, introduces a foreign science concept and eases its way into the students through interactive and certainly scintillating means. The Engagement Phase involves relating everyday themes to the topic, maybe involving a discrepant event (demonstrating an experiment that essentially breaks down preconceived notions, eliciting unexpected results), or an engaging question. It allows the students to think, and provides a great way to transition into the Exploration Phase, in which the students are carrying out the experiment itself. Allow the students to interact with tangible objects, communicating with their peers and test out certain variables, perform experiments, run trials, etc. These are the hands-on activities that really get students moving, not only their bodies (sometimes) but their minds, most importantly! This model really allows them to think like scientists. The rest of the three phases come after or are embedded in the exploration phase. But the first two phases really capture the students attention, no matter how abstract, boring, or hard the science theme.

Here is a website that may help summarize the phases tersely: https://wehavekids.com/education/How-to-create-a-5-E-Lesson-Plan

Hope this helps in the least!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers