Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / At what age is it appropriate to start implementing science experiments into learning?

Early Childhood

At what age is it appropriate to start implementing science experiments into learning?

Author Post
Rachel Peckman Rachel Peckman 210 Points

Hello! I am a Elementry Ed. major is looking to be teaching in their own classroom withing the next 2 years. I am very curious as to the current rules and regualations implimented by the state about how much time is required to teach scienmce in the class room and how to navigate what are the most important topics that should be covered in very early elementary grades. I want to amke sure that my students gain a desire for discovery and science but also are not doing too much that it is overwhelming and taking away from the rest of the subject areas. I would appreciate any imput!

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12158 Points

Hi Rachel,

It's so great that you are getting a head start on projecting science lessons before you get a job. Science is exciting and I know you will find so many rewards by teaching it.

To answer your question, it depends on a lot of things: state you teach in, grade level, private/public school, etc. It would be great to have a bank of ideas provided by NSTA until you land your first job. I've attached a few of my favorites.

The best of luck to you.

ML

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers