Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Looking for hands-on cell activities

Elementary Science

Looking for hands-on cell activities

Author Post
Sheila Falgout Sheila Falgout 900 Points

I am in the great position of being a Science Lab teacher this year! The students are learning a lot, and so am I! The 5th grade classes are learning about cells in their homerooms right now and I would like some ideas for hands-on activites I could do with them to support their understanding of this complex idea. Most students at my school are ELL, so content vocabulary is usually weak. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Carrie LaFay Carrie LaFay 100 Points

Have you considered making JELLO cells? I did this in second grade and it seemed to help the kids understand the parts of a cell. Also, there is a great iPad app called iCell that might be helpful to you.

Hello first of all congrats on what you have done so far with your students. I found this website that gives you great ideas on how to teach the concept of cell structure and their functions although it is very clear and well explained as an ELL student myself I would recommend a lot of hands on activities that they can see and work with to make it easier for them to grasp the information. http://www.schools.manatee.k12.fl.us/072JOCONNOR/celllessonplans/lesson_plan__cell_structure_and_function.html I remember learning about cells when I was their age and as a personal experience I feel the whole create your own cell was the best method for me to acquire the information and I can say I learned it very well since today I can recall most parts and their functions by just remembering how the cells I created looked like. Hope this helps and best of luck! Ana

Zulaika Reyes Zulaika Reyes 2615 Points

That great science

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers