Forums

Elementary Science

Rocks

Author Post
Trisha Okamura Trisha Okamura 2000 Points

I currently teach 2nd grade and we do a unit on rocks where students learn how to sort them into different properties. I use Brain Pop Jr. which I think is such a great resource for teachers and we discuss the different types of properties. I was wondering if anyone has other fun ideas/activities for my students to do besides just bringing in a hand rock sample to sort in small groups. I currently have the groups sort their rocks into a property of their choice and then the other groups have to try and figure out how that group sorted their rocks.

Arlene, thank you so much for the information. I'll be sure to check it out! :0)

Kellee Kelly Kellee Kelly 7800 Points

I am in the middle of the rocks scipack and they gave the idea of having kids bring in rocks, they say from summer vacation, and tell where they came from. Later you can do research as to how the rock was formed etc. I think I will alter this idea a little and either take kids around the school to find rocks or have them bring some in. Then they can do the research on the rocks. I may tie in a writing lesson and have them write a story about the rock's life, or maybe some drama?

Thanks Jean, that would be great if you could give me the recipes for the "rocks". I think I might try that with the students as an extension of the lesson since our standards is pretty much only having the students be able to sort the rocks. Kellee, We do have them bring in rocks from home and even do a "rock walk" around our campus. However, the rocks that the students bring in don't have much characteristics. I think that we need to purchase one of those rock kits that has some great hand samples that really show the different compositions within the hand sample. Thanks for your input!

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Hi Trisha,
I found a great activity called Pet Rock from the DNR Indiana Division of Reclamation. It looks quite extensive and incorporates physical properties, measuring and recording, compare and contrast activities, and language arts. I hope you find it useful.

Saba Polakovic Saba Polakovic 1330 Points

Hi, I also teach 2nd grade in Hawaii. There's a really fun picture book, by local author Ken Kudo, called "The Littlest Pahoehoe". Without giving too much away, the story is about a little boy who isn't quite sure of his place in the community. He learns an important lifw lesson from the various rocks, chosen for building a rock wall, and is able to appreciate/understand how and where he fits in. It's a nice way to tie in literature, Hawaiian culture, and rock studies. You may also like to check out the community forum under Earth and Space Science because there's a wonderful discussion thread unfolding all about how/what to teach about rocks (started Aug. 30 "Teaching about Rocks in Hawaii"). Best, Saba

Patricia, Thank you so much for the link. I downloaded the PDF and can definitely use some of the worksheets that was provided to help to make my unit better. Saba, I have never heard of that book but I love reading literature to introduce new concepts to the children. Thank you for suggesting it. I'm going to see if our library has it so I can use it for my unit and share it with my grade level so that we may purchase it. I'm getting so excited to start putting this unit together as a get wonderful ideas from others! Thank you to all that have taken the time out to post and share your ideas! Trisha

Emily Frazee Emily Frazee 2085 Points

I did a lesson with 1st graders last spring on rocks. I decided to read the "magic school bus: rock cycles". I am sure there is a video too but it gives them some good background. Then I had them make pet rocks. You could have them describe features of their rock pet like grainy, the color etc.. and have the class match the "pets" to their description.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Trisha, I am attaching an interesting journal article that I think you might find useful. It helps students understand what makes up a rock.

Attachments

Lauren Cooke Lauren Cooke 1845 Points

Although I have personally never taught a unit on rocks, I would think this would be a good time to get the children outside if you know of any areas around your school that would have rocks. You can also place different types of rocks around an area outside of your school before class in the morning, and have the kids go on a scavenger hunt for the different types of rocks. Obviously if they were younger kids you would need to put them in more obvious places! I think this would be a great way for kids to identify rocks in nature, have fun, and also learn the intended lesson!

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Trisha! Wow, you've gotten a great response to your question about teaching a rock unit. A few years ago I taught a rock unit to a fourth grade class. I really wanted to make the unit hands-on and exciting. I found several articles in the NSTA Learning Center that helped me develop a hands-on, inquiry based unit. I've created a collection of the resources I found and attached them to this post. Good luck putting your unit together! Be sure to let us know how everything goes! Maureen

Rocks (elementary) Collection (12 items)
Kellee Kelly Kellee Kelly 7800 Points

FOLLOW UP.. Did part of my lesson on rocks using the chocolate. The kids loved it. They were even picking up rocks at recess and thinking about how they were made. I also picked up a really nice book called "Everybody Needs a Rock" by Byrd Baylor This was a fantastic book because of the art in it. There were multiple images hidden in rock forms. The kids had to use their creativity to see all the different figures in the rocks. I read the book on Friday and then told the kids to look for rocks over the weekend and bring them in Monday. For the next part we are going to categorize the rocks (I have a bunch also) and then do a drama where each group will get a rock type and will have to create a non-verbal 5 second skit. This whole rock thing is going to lead in to our communities are developed due to the availability of resources. We are going to build a landscape starting with the geology all the way up to where the houses will be placed etc. Would never have been able to do all this without the content knowledge through the SciPacks and the wonderful resourcefulness of the teachers in the forums!

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

I just read through this whole thread and I was wondering, what enduring understanding are we trying to help our students achieve, when we do rock units? I am thinking that each of these activities, tests of hardness,color, acid etc should be leading our students to a bigger idea. I am thinking that what I really want is for my students to understand that the rocks are part of an earth system that go through processes and illustrates changes over time. I am thinking that we need to be explicit with our students and let them know that the work we are doing testing rocks to learn more about earth materials or the models we are creating are to help them understand the bigger idea. I know I have to do a better job along those lines. Kathy

Maureen- Thank you for the wonderful resources for science journaling. I will definitely implement it into the unit! Kellee, Sounds like you have a great start into your unit and I like how it leads into another content. :0) Kathy, below is our standard and benchmark of what Hawaii children in the 2nd grade need to know. I feel as a teacher, it is important to go a little beyond what is expected as long as you covered and only assessed what the standard and benchmarks are. That includes introducing them to the background knowledge and vocabulary even though they are not being assessed on things like what is the difference between igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks. Strand Physical, Earth, and Space Sciences Standard 8: Physical, Earth, and Space Sciences: EARTH AND SPACE SCIENCE: Understand the Earth and its processes, the solar system, and the universe and its contents Topic Earth Materials Benchmark SC.2.8.1 Identify different Earth materials and classify them by their physical properties Sample Performance Assessment (SPA) The student: Gives examples of different Earth materials (e.g., rocks, minerals, soil, sand, water) and groups them by their physical properties (e.g., size, shape, texture, color).

Trisha, It sounds like you make sure that your students understand the bigger ideas about how all the rock activities (tests ) that happen are part of the earth processes and the changes that occur over time. I am wondering what literary and informational text might complement the work you are already doing. One book that I know I have used is "Rocks in His Head" by Carol Otis Hurst. This book has social studies connections also. KAthy

Paula Evans Paula Roknick-Evans 2640 Points

Thanks for the input on language arts and cross curricular ways to teach and enhance the lessons on rocks. I will definitely use "Rocks in His Head" and "Everybody Needs a Rock". My fourth grade students are taking this lesson much farther than intended. A couple of them have really shown me the diversity of interests in our students and how to tap into this by letting them take these interests and go with them. My students are constructing great inquiry-based activities to investigate how rock and fossils tell us about the history of our planet. Thanks to you all for your resources and ideas!

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

I just did this one this week... I had purchased some geodes a number of years ago that sat on my shelf and I thought it was kind of a waster so I took one to school and took the kids outside with a hammer to bust it up. The kids were fascinated and kept pieces of the geode for a souvenir. They even saved a piece for a student absent that day. It helped bring geology to life for the kids and they were more engaged in the rock cycle lessons afterward.

Paula Evans Paula Roknick-Evans 2640 Points

@Kathy, I agree with your post Kathy. The rocks unit we completed was fun and engaging, but I do feel that bigger ideas needed to be incorporated into the lessons at every turn. The students came away with ideas that rocks change over time and they tell us things about our earth, but at times we lost sight of the bigger understandings that I wanted to teach. I was surprised at the fun the kids had with rocks in general and did not know they would be so interested in the exploration part. Next time, I will try and focus more on the concepts underlying the importance of rock study and definitely build more time into the unit. Paula

Sounds like you did a quality job teaching your students about how our Earth has changed over time. :-) I think the hands-on investigation is also a very important of science instruction. I think it makes sense when you think about it. You are tring to help the child understand complex ideas and we do that by scaffolding their learning from the concrete to the abstract. Kathy

I found a great activity called Pet Rock from the DNR Indiana Division of Reclamation. It looks quite extensive and incorporates physical properties, measuring and recording, compare and contrast activities, and language arts. I hope you find it useful. Patricia, I was looking over this packet and there was a section that has a language arts cross curricular section. I really like the idea of having the students do a creative writing or a cartoon strip about their pet rock. For those of you that were asking about the language arts or cross curricular ideas to integrate, I highly recommend looking through this packet. I'm going to definitely have my students do a creative writing piece with their pet rock as the main character incorporating it's make up. :0)

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

There are some great resources here. The University of Missouri has created a ethemes projects where they aggregate content by topic for elementarty and middle school instruction. Here are minks to their Rocks resources Products from Rocks and MInerals Learn more about rocks and minerals found in Missouri including galena, limestone, and coal. Understand the uses of these minerals by reading information from producers, where minerals can be found, and how they can be preserved. Search mineral databases, view maps and charts, and have fun with a word-find puzzle. Includes eThemes resources Missouri: Natural Minerals and Geology. http://ethemes.missouri.edu/themes/1326?locale=en Properties of Rocks and Soil (Gr 1&2) These sites have information about rocks and soil. Learn about their different properties, how rocks are made, and how soil is formed. There are interactive pages, quizzes, and many ideas for in-class activities. Included are three related eThemes resources on soil, rocks, and erosion. http://ethemes.missouri.edu/themes/878?locale=en Rocks and Minerals (3-6) These sites describe various rocks and minerals. Learn about igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks and some of the more common minerals. Includes hands-on activities, games, photographs, and two animated movies. There are links to eThemes Resources on fossils and erosion. http://ethemes.missouri.edu/themes/933?locale=en

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I have also create small collections of Rocks, MInerals and Soils.

Rock Cycle Collection (5 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Rocks and Minerals Collection (11 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Soil Science Collection (14 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Toshiba Pugh Toshiba Pugh 90 Points

When I studied rocks with my students we did various activities. We made edible rocks. Igneous rocks were rice krispie treats. The rice krispie cereal represented the large crystals (intrusive coarse-grained rock) while the melted marshmallow represented magma. Sedimentary rocks were ice cream sandwiches using the Grandma cookies. Depending on which cookie the students chose (chocolate chip or peanut butter) the cookie represented the sediment from compaction and the ice cream represented the cementation of the rock. Metamorphic rocks were s'mores. The microwave provided the heat needed to change the crystals(melt the chocolate chips and marshmallow) and the students provided the 'pressure' to smush the s'mores together. I would do these activities with 8th graders and the LOVED it. I know your 2nd graders would get a kick out of it!

You are using models as part of your science instruction which is neat. Models are huge piece of the Next Generation Science Standards. I think there is a different use of models as we transition to these new standards. I think these changes will give us plenty to think about. Kathy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers