Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Integrating NGSS with other subjects

Next Generation Science Standards

Integrating NGSS with other subjects

Author Post
Adrienne Gatlin Adrienne Gatlin 1330 Points

I teach ELA, Social Studies, and Reading. Besides using reading passages to integrate NGSS, what are some other ways NGSS could be integrated into my lessons?

Michelle Franko Michelle Franko 9920 Points

We have recently been trained on Argument Driven Inquiry. They have a book for both 4th and 5th grade. Through this process students will be reading about the topic, finding important information and annotating text, writing scientific/informational texts, revising their work, presenting and discussing (using speaking skills), and critiquing others. Although I have not used it in my personal classroom yet, the presenter was a former teacher and talked about how the district's scores in ela imrpoved due to implementaion of this program. 

Torrey Wenger Torrey Wenger 907 Points

Ooo, look at the crosscutting concepts! Things like looking for patterns feature in every discipline while form & function connects nicely to poem structure, etc. & the science & engineering concepts are pretty widespread too - My favorite is arguing from evidence. Honestly, you probably already do a lot of NGSS-type things (other than the actual content) - It'd be an easy tweak to make those connections more explicit.

Ooo, look at the crosscutting concepts! Things like looking for patterns feature in every discipline while form & function connects nicely to poem structure, etc. & the science & engineering concepts are pretty widespread too - My favorite is arguing from evidence. Honestly, you probably already do a lot of NGSS-type things (other than the actual content) - It'd be an easy tweak to make those connections more explicit.

Michelle Franko Michelle Franko 9920 Points

We have recently been trained on Argument Driven Inquiry. They have a book for both 4th and 5th grade. Through this process students will be reading about the topic, finding important information and annotating text, writing scientific/informational texts, revising their work, presenting and discussing (using speaking skills), and critiquing others. Although I have not used it in my personal classroom yet, the presenter was a former teacher and talked about how the district's scores in ela imrpoved due to implementaion of this program. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers