Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Insect Science Lesson

Early Childhood

Insect Science Lesson

Author Post
Jessica Arrigo Jessica Arrigo 700 Points

I am going to teach a 1st grade lesson on insects next week, and I'm looking for creative ideas for lesson plans. Any advice, or experiences that might help?

Alyssa Heater Alyssa Heater 875 Points

I think an insect hunt outside could be very engaging for students. 

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

Many children think that all small creatures are insects. They all are animals but slugs, snails, spiders, millipedes, roly-polies and worms are not insects. The American Museum of Natural History has a free download guide for teachers, Life in the Leaf Litter, that has illustrations your students might be interested in.
http://www.amnh.org/our-research/center-for-biodiversity-conservation/publications/general-interest/life-in-the-leaf-litter 

You might keep a container of Tenebrio beetle in the classroom so children can observe their growth and metamorphosis from larva to pupa to adult beetle. You can buy them at pet stores where they are sold as 'mealworms.' I don't use that term with children because it is confusing--they are insects, not worms. Children understand if you introduce the term 'larva,' like a caterpillar!

This topic is usually high interest for children so they want to measure, count, tally, and compare the animals as they change, and draw and write about their observations. I uploaded a beetle count page I created. It can be used as a page or enlarged to poster size.

Attachments

Arrie Winston Arrie Winston 1020 Points

Hello, I'm not sure if you have heard of "webquest" but I believe this will be a good idea for teaching students about insect that will get them involved and engaged. Here is a webquest about butterflies that I have used with my students. Check it out to get ideas of what a webquest is or use it to create a webquest about insects. http://www2.newton.k12.ma.us/~mary_manning/FOV1-0003AA4D/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers