Forums

Earth and Space Science

Space Unit

Author Post
Devleta Memic Devleta Memic 3510 Points

Hi everyone! I have to create a unit for my methods of teaching science class. I decided to focus on space science, but it is so board. I do not where to begin and what to focus on. I also have to write an introductory lesson. What are some introductory lessons or activities I can use if I decided to focus on the planets or the moon? Thank you!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Devleta, I noticed you have not filled out your NSTA LC profile yet, so I was unable to determine for which grade you plan to teach your space lesson. Since there is a huge difference in lesson plans depending on the grade band, please provide more information for us to narrow down how we might be of help. Also, narrowing down the content by examining the state standards for your grade level will be useful too. Looking forward to hearing more details... Carolyn

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Hello Delveta- Yes, space is quite an expansive topic. I would suggest that you narrow down on a more specific topic. If you are working with younger children, things that they can see, like the Moon, the sun, and constellations would be excellent possibilities. Or, you could focus on how we explore space and do a lesson on telescopes or specific space missions - of which there are many. Good luck, and if you have more questions just ask.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

The Rubik Learning Initiative™, the Colorado Space Grant Consortium and NASA's Sounding Rocket Program are offering a free science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics focused education program for students ages 11-14. Cubes in Space™ provides students an opportunity to design and compete to launch an experiment into space. Using formal or informal learning environments, students and educators will be exposed to engaging online content and activities in preparation for the design and development of an experimental payload to be integrated into a small cube. These cubes will be launched via a Terrier-Orion sounding rocket from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility, Wallops Island, Va., in late June 2014. Leveraging the excitement of space exploration, students and educators will learn about the methodology for taking an idea from design through the review process. Throughout the experience, students will acquire key 21st century skills necessary for success in a highly connected, global society. The deadline for program registration is April 18, 2014. http://www.cubesinspace.com/

Devleta Memic Devleta Memic 3510 Points

Thank you everyone for your responses! I am actually writing up the lessons for a science methods course I am taking at my university. However, the grade that I am focusing on is 6th grade.

I recently joint the UK's National stem center. There is a free newsletter than is pushed weekly. The last issue provided a link to new page by Tim Peake who is planning to go to the international space center.
Major Tim Peake is due to go to the International Space Station in November 2015 and spend six months there carrying out scientific experiments. He will be the first British ESA astronaut to visit the Space Station.

This page offers support and resources to science teachers to enable them to use this mission to inspire pupils.

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Devleta. How about this? http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/nes2/home/index.html The NASA Explorer Schools Internet Site has a lot of good resources.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Devleta, Let us know how your unit plan went. It sounds like you got a lot of helpful feedback here. Carolyn

Video Interviews from Astronauts on the ISS

Michael Anson Michael Anson 70 Points

Perhaps start with the Earth's atmosphere, followed by the international space station and the history of space exploration, and then move outward to the Moon, sun, solar system, galaxy, and universe. As part of my lesson plans I include a "Science in the News' segment most days for reasons of relevance to what we're learning.

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Devleta. This is probably too late for your methods class and I hope it went well, but I just wanted to jump in and suggest you look over your state's academic standards and anchors as well as the NGSS to start with and then follow the links and suggestions listed above. They are all excellent. Another good source is http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/STEM/ I just finished Set Sail and it was excellent!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers