Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Kindergarten and Assessment

Evaluation and Assessment

Kindergarten and Assessment

Author Post
Britney George Britney George 2455 Points

I teach kindergarten.  We use the 5 E model with every lesson which helps keeps the students engaged.  I have a hard time assessing them though.  Any ideas that could help?

Thanks,

Britney George

Sherri Cavallaro Sherri Cavallaro 675 Points

The 5 E model is a great instructional model to use and allows the teacher many opportunities to assess the students throughout the lesson or multiple lessons. I would suggest using formative assessments during different stages of the 5 E model. As you teach and the students learn, you will be able to gather data on whether or not the lesson is providing the outcomes you anticipated. For instance, I am currently creating a lesson plan on floating and sinking objects and I can conduct an assessment while they are engaged in the classification of objects. This can represent an assessment for the engage stage of the 5 E model. Another example would be asking the students to explain verbally what it means to float. This would represent an assessment for the explain stage. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers