Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Touchy Concepts

Elementary Science

Teaching Touchy Concepts

Author Post
Ally Roberts Ally Roberts 210 Points

How do I teach concepts such as climate change, evolution, etc. when families may have strong, differing opinions at home? 

Paulina Garcia Paulina Garcia 135 Points

Hello Ally, I think that you shouldn't be afraid to teach school content, because even us as teachers may not believe in those concepts but we still have to teach them. Yes there are delicate concepts like theories that need to be taught such as evolution and big bang theory etc. This is why it is good to mention that theories are tested but are not a 100 percent true, also it is important to remind your students that everyone has a different opinion which is okay, and that they have to respect each and everyone of them, and should be free to share what they think without disregarding any one else.

Emily Solis Emily Solis 240 Points

Great question, this can be very tricky. I would avoid all personal comments about religion and beliefs and focus on what needs to be taught. I would remind students that they have the right to an opinion, but they can discuss it later with their peers elswhere. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers