Forums

Forums / Life Science / SciGuide Reflection: Organisms Grades K-4

Life Science

SciGuide Reflection: Organisms Grades K-4

Author Post
Sandra Dolbin Sandra Dolbin 4985 Points

1. What are some key points from the SciGuide that made an impression upon you? The components in this SciGuide are all about the roles that organisms play in any given ecosystem throughout the world. The earth’s ecosystems help to support the biotic and abiotic things on a global scale. Healthy ecosystems are imperative to sustaining life on earth. The organisms that make up a food chain or food web are dependent on humans to help to protect them and to keep them healthy and balanced. Healthy ecosystems are important to food chains and food webs as they attribute to sustaining life on a global scale. Humans also depend on these ecosystems being healthy and in balance as well. The increasing climate changes such as global warming, water pollution, invasive species, deforestation, etc… are starting to have a great impact on the growth and development of the ecosystems around the world. Humans need to realize and understand the value that these food chains and food webs play in an ecosystem and the importance of keeping them healthy and balanced. 2. How does this information impact and/or change your current views on student learning? The insights I have gained from the completion of this SciGuide are many and infinite. I have learned the importance of teaching the students about the need in keeping the food chains and food webs healthy and balanced in any given ecosystem. The SciGuide also aided me in learning more about organisms and the different roles they play in ecosystems and the wide and diverse life that make up a food web. Lastly, the SciGuide explained about the importance of maintaining the health and balance of biotic and abiotic things in an ecosystem. Humans play the largest role in helping to maintain their health and welfare. Food chains and food webs are sensitive to climactic changes such as warming ocean temperatures, pollution, invasive species, etc… We humans have a responsibility to take care of the biotic and abiotic things that exist in any given ecosystem. If we don’t care for them, they may not remain in balance for very much longer which will in turn have catastrophic results on a global scale for all life on earth. This is a key concept that is important for all students to know and to understand. 3. What are some ways you could incorporate this understanding to your classroom planning? Without a doubt, the implications these insights hold for me that I learned in studying this SciGuide has really given me insight to the importance of protecting and preserving food chains and food webs in an ecosystem. The conservation and protection doesn’t just begin and end in the ecosystem that we live and operate in but it also is connected to all ecosystems on a global level. The biggest contributor to the health and welfare of any given ecosystem, starts with us, as human beings. What we are doing or not doing within any given ecosystem, is impacting the health of all other ecosystems on a global level. These are critical concepts that the students need to be taught. They are the future citizens of our earth. It is up to them to know and understand the importance of caring for the food chains and food webs in all ecosystems throughout the world. It is important for the students to learn and internalize this crucial information so that they can act upon it and do their part to preserve and protect the food chains and food webs on a global scale, not just for themselves, but for future generations as well.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Sandra. Is this an assignment that you had for one of your preservice courses? It sounds like you got a lot out of the SciGuide. Thank you for sharing, and good luck in the rest of your course work. Carolyn

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers