Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Are You Teaching about the Moon?

Earth and Space Science

Are You Teaching about the Moon?

Author Post
Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

If you are studying the moon with your class(es) here is a link that may be of use to you. Also, there are several resources in the Learning Center to teach about volcanoes and craters. This article makes an interesting connection between volcanoes and the time of the dinosaurs. NASA Science News for October 13, 2014 NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has found strong evidence of geologically young volcanic activity on the moon. Some deposits appear to be less than 100 million years old, corresponding to Earth's Cretaceous period, the heyday of dinosaurs. FULL STORY: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/13oct_moonvolcano/

Ana C Rodarte Ana C Rodarte 2020 Points

Thank you for posting. This story truly opened my eyes in regards to our moon's structure. It is new to me to know that the moon has and had volcanic eruptions. This is a very interesting topic that will surely interest my 5th grade students. It's amazing and proves to show that we never stop learning.

Cinthia Rodriguez Cinthia Rodriguez 4505 Points

Thank you for your post, we are about to learn about the changes the moon goes through.

Christian Garcia Christian Garcia 2935 Points

Thank you for providing a great resource for teaching students about the moon. I just finished learning about the lunar stages and how to identify the specific stage by looking at it in my science content class this semester. We created a moon chart and were required to draw the moon and record what it looked like for three weeks. It made me want to teach my students about the moon this way because even learning about the moon this way as an adult, I still really enjoyed it.

Guerline Florvil Guerline Florvil 2065 Points

Volcanic activity findings on the moon is very interesting to me. I just completed my scipack on Earth/Space Science. I am learning a great deal of content knowledge. I must admit,it was a challenge. Thank you for posting.

Virginia Herbert Virginia Herbert 1505 Points

Wow! Great site! Thank you for posting it! I will need this since we are currently on that subject. It would greatly help!

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Virginia (and everyone else who has never used the "User Created Collections"), Another terrific way to get resources that have been collected and put into "User Created Collections" is go to: 1) Tab-"Learning Resources & Opportunities", 2) find "Advanced Search" on the left hand side of the screen, 3) Keyword: "Moon" (or any other topic you want more resources on) and Type of Learning Resource: "User Created Collections", then hit "Search". Wait until you see all of the resources that have already been looked up! Christmas has arrived. Don't forget, you can also create your own collection and post it for others to use.

Gina Mirto Gina Mirto 2460 Points

The students loved the information about the surface of the moon! Thank you so much for posting about this. Nothing catches the kids attention quite like an interesting videos or explosive reactions on a distant planet. Thank you again.

Lindsey Truxel Lindsey Truxel 2060 Points

Does anyone have any neat activities for teaching the phases of the moon?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

This link will take you to an excellent NSTA journal article about moon phases and how to teach them. http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/4/ss10_034_02_86#reviews Also, do a search on "moon phase lesson" in the Learning Center. It will take you to several other resources.

Deb Morrison Deborah Morrison 970 Points

I just finished teaching about the moon and it was so much fun! We did an inquiry lab about the moon using small Earths and smaller moons. I asked students to first draw their model of how the moon phases occur. As you might imagine I had all sorts of ideas shown to me. Then I gave students a flashlight, an Earth and a moon (each of which had straws on them) - all of which were in the FOSS Solar System kit. The kids task was to show how their model was correct in the 3-D world. Many students spent a lot of time arguing with each other about the full and new moon phases. They were working in groups of 2 or 4. They then had a chance to revise their models and try again. At one point I gave them the information that the quarters were named from the New moon going in the direction of revolution and that helped clear up 1st and 3rd quarter labeling issues. I also asked them how it was that the full moon wasn't blocked by the Earth. Through these questions students were able to talk together and come up with the reasoning for how the phases of the moon are created as viewed from Earth.

Edgar Acab Edgar Acab 110 Points

Thank you for the link. It was a useful resource. I have been researching different methods to teach lunar phases and this will be useful for future lessons. Thanks again.

Stacey Dillard Stacey Dillard 2715 Points

Thanks for the link on teaching phases of the moon at NSTA!

Micola Mitchell Micola Mitchell 975 Points

teacherspayteachers.com

Celeste Galindo Celeste Galindo 2620 Points

Thank you for your post! My students just finished learning about the phases of the moon and have gained a greater interest in learning about the moon and our planetary system. I know the information provided in the link would be new and fascinating information for them.

Jasmine Aguilera Jasmine Aguilera 1290 Points

Thank you for sharing! I didn't know this much about our moon. I feel like I have a completely different view of our moon now, it opened my eyes. It was very interesting and now I have more to share with my students about the moon. Thanks again! -Jasmine

Tasneem Khalil Tasneem Khalil 3870 Points

Wow thank you for sharing! Actually, we just learned about the moon phases in our Science class and thought it was interesting to know the difference of each one. We made this moon chart which we recorded for almost a month and shared what we saw in those days of that month. Now I have a little more knowledge about the moon phases and what directions it shows up in. A few weeks ago I just taught a lesson over rapid changes on volcanoes and other changes. I think I will implement this in my next lesson to give extra cool information. I enjoyed reading this and will love to share this resource with my classmates and learn more about it soon. Thank you!

Jessica Dupaix Jessica Dupaix 2960 Points

Thank you for the resource! I look forward to using it in my classroom.

Lisette Gallegos Lisette Gallegos 1345 Points

Jessica this is very informative!

Christen Anderson Christen Anderson 1225 Points

Thank you so much for sharing this. I can't wait to use this in the classroom!

Jennifer Beach Jennifer Beach 1255 Points

Thank you so much for sharing this resource!

Belita Bowen Belita Bowen 275 Points

Thank you for this post, its really good! I am going into the moon and the moon phases next week and this will be very helpful. Thank you!!!

Tina Mathews Tina Mathews 125 Points

http://asurvivalguidetomiddleschool.blogspot.com/2011/10/current-daily-moon-phase.html I love this one because she gives daily moon phases so that the kids can see the moon changing. Planning to use this daily as SOL gets closer:0

Christina Guerra Christina Guerra 1500 Points

What a great post, I think the moon is such a great topic to discuss with all students because it is something that they can observe nightly and it doesn't cost anything! It's also something that children are very curious about from an early age.

Fozia Baig fozia baig 810 Points

The moon topic is huge and can be really fun to learn for the kids! Thanks for the website and resources. I will be definitely looking at them to see if I can incorporate them into lessons. Also, I am not sure of the title of the song but there is a great, fun song on youtube that helps learn the phases of the moon that can be great for the kids!

Daniel Carroll Daniel Carroll 18610 Points

From the NASA site you can access many materials. No reason to go elsewhere.

Jessica Tapia Jessica Tapia 1245 Points

Thank you for posting this website! It is a great website, it is a great resource for me to use in the future when I began teaching. For everyone else I recommend you to take a look at it. You will find it very helpful!

Pamela Lopez-Martinez Pamela Lopez-Martinez 1280 Points

Thanks for your post. Great information!

Carlos Castillo CARLOS CASTILLO 720 Points

thanks, that's great! i'll be sure to use that resource whenever i teach about the moon.

Christi Marquardt Christi Marquardt 380 Points

Amazing! Do you know about the Teacher Liaison program with the Space Foundation? You can become Moon Rock Certified!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers