Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Giving Electric Shocks to 5th graders

Elementary Science

Giving Electric Shocks to 5th graders

This topic has been archived. No further posting is allowed.

Author Post
Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I believe that is totally illegal!!! That teacher could loose their job!! I would report them to the authorities. As a grandmother, I would be at the school confronting the principal and teacher. Oops, better calm down. That really bothered me!!! Health wise it would be dangerous to students with weak hearts, those who might have a pace maker, or other possibly other physical conditions!!

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

This is not OK! Someone should certainly e asking some ??????

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hmmm... Yes! Not being an electrical engineer, but it sure sounds like students might be subject to potential danger! There are completely safe ways to show this, like using the Energy Balls to model this concept.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Carolyn, I am going to use some Energy Balls to help students figure out energy being transferred by electricity to produce light. They are great.Unfortunately, they cost about $3.50 a piece. I am going to purchase 10, I think. Much better than giving students a zap! Kathy

Maria Garcilazo Maria Garcilazo 1760 Points

I totally agree with the previous comments. I wouldn't dare zap any student, just for demonstration.

Dylaneigh Reardon Dylaneigh Reardon 1485 Points

This seems a bit off. After learning about how strict the education departments are getting with science safety this does not seem like a safe demonstration of electricity.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers