This topic has been archived. No further posting is allowed.
My grandson's science teacher (5th grade) had the students hold hands in semicircle and connected the end students to the leads of
a voltage controller. He then increased the voltage until the children could feel it. The student in the middle was told to let go to demonstrate how he was necessary to complete the circuit.
Seems dangerous to me for a number of reasons. Before I get too upset, does anyone out there do this?
I believe that is totally illegal!!! That teacher could loose their job!! I would report them to the authorities. As a grandmother, I would be at the school confronting the principal and teacher. Oops, better calm down. That really bothered me!!!
Health wise it would be dangerous to students with weak hearts, those who might have a pace maker, or other possibly other physical conditions!!
This is not OK! Someone should certainly e asking some ??????
Hmmm... Yes! Not being an electrical engineer, but it sure sounds like students might be subject to potential danger! There are completely safe ways to show this, like using the Energy Balls to model this concept.
Boy does that bring back memories from about 50 or so years ago. My 6th grade teacher showed us the effects of electricity when the whole class held hands in a circle and he attached two students to a magneto (little generator). As he cranked away it only took two seconds to feel the sock. This is engrained in my memory and brought back when I taught high school physics students. One child brought in a magneto in a lunch box that was confiscated by his father who was a Forest and Games officer. Fisherman too lazy to hook fish would sock them and then scoop them up with a net to capture fish instead of using the old fashion rod and reel. That is illegal in Texas.
I think doing this with a classroom of elementary students is just too traumatic and downright dangerous. I would rather see this educator pass around one of those Easter chickens that when you touch the two electrodes on the bottom with your fingers start to cluck. These amperage going through you, more fun, and definitely less trauma.
I am going to use some Energy Balls to help students figure out energy being transferred by electricity to produce light. They are great.Unfortunately, they cost about $3.50 a piece. I am going to purchase 10, I think.
Much better than giving students a zap!
I totally agree with the previous comments. I wouldn't dare zap any student, just for demonstration.
This seems a bit off. After learning about how strict the education departments are getting with science safety this does not seem like a safe demonstration of electricity.
Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers