Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / A Rationale for Integrating Science and Reading

General Science and Teaching

A Rationale for Integrating Science and Reading

Author Post
Alisha Goyco Alisha Goyco 1390 Points

A lot of learning in science is done by doing experiments, which have obviously proven to be important. However, this is not to say that other subjects that are not as hands-on, such as reading, cannot be intregrated with science. In fact, this article mentions how science literacy is important. Aside from any reason involving exams, I believe it is important to have science literacy to be about to learn about more complex concepts that are difficult to do experiments with in everyday life. I think that integrating the two subjects can help students improve reading skills and vocabulary as they learn more about science, which are both important, and support the idea. This is definitely something I would want to try out in my classroom.

Emily Faulconer Faulconer 5755 Points

I think too often it is assumed - even at the college level - that students have the reading skills required to gain information from scientific sources. I agree that integration can be a significant benefit to students! 

Toneka Bussey Toneka Bussey 1928 Points

This is exactly what I'm trying to do to improve my students reading scores also.  Are there any reading materials such as texts, articles, online resources, etc that you will use to integrate literacy and science?

Joselyn Hermoso Joselyn Hermoso 785 Points

Hello. I agree with your post on integrating reading to foster Science literacy. Here, one of my school disctrict's goals is that students will be able to access complex texts and critically analyze the information from the grade level reading materials across curriculum. With that, emphasizing on closed reading apart from just text annotation but digging into the text itself for further information is highly encouraged. 

Toneka Bussey Toneka Bussey 1928 Points

My district is emphasizing closed reading strategies across the content areas also.  Writing is another push in science as well using the Claims, Evidence and Reasoning strategy.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers