Forums

Forums / STEM / What's the Most Engaging STEM Conference/Workshop Have YOU Attended?

STEM

What's the Most Engaging STEM Conference/Workshop Have YOU Attended?

Author Post
Jill Tung-Loong Jill Tung-Loong 300 Points

Technology has become an important and integral tool to enhance teaching and learning. More and more conferences and workshops have been popping up throughout our states, so I'm wondering if there's any particular ones highly recommended. I currently live in Hawai'i, but I am willing to travel out of state to attend worthy STEM conferences/workshops.

Wendy Ruchti Wendy Ruchti 24875 Points

If by STEM, you mean a multidisciplinary, integrated, look at teaching STEM, none as of yet have really touched on some of the true barriers to STEM education. I've attended some very good discipline-specific PD. However, I'm attending the NSTA STEM Forum in May in Atlantic City (very far for you!), to get ideas on how we'd like to set this up for Idaho... then we'll invite you!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Jill,
You might be interested in some of the STEM webinars that NSTA offers. I have participated in several, and each one has been excellent. If you go to the listing of upcoming webinars, any of them that say 'engineering design' are geared toward STEM concepts and careers. The next one is in just a couple of weeks: April 11, 2012 – Engineering Design Challenge: Forces and Motion -- The Great Boomerang Challenge
Also, Siemens STEM Academy has several webinars each year. You can see their offerings at their home page.
AND they are free - you won't have to leave beautiful Hawaii!
Carolyn

Donna Martin Donna Martin 4025 Points

I love most of the workshops from NASA

Rochelle Tamiya Rochelle Tamiya 4095 Points

Hi Jill....we all know that the NSTA website is a great "meeting" place for great ideas and sharing of lessons but I also want to give you another resource. I was fortunate to be included in this STEM opportunity. Our website is www.sip-hawaii.org. Like this website, the sip website is also an area where you can get super ideas from teachers all over hawaii who are focused on the STEM project based type curriculum/lesson. Hope this helps!!

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Hi Jill, I am really looking forward to attending NSTA's STEM Expo in Atlantic City next month. I realize that might be rather far for you so I tried to find something in Hawaii. I found a website called the STEM Intercommunity Portal that looks really interesting. They have a link called "workshops" on their site that includes some workshops that might be closer for you. NSTA webinars are also a great source of workshops that you can attend virtually.

Janice Novello Janice Novello 6985 Points

Hi Carolyn, I took the Boomarang Challenge and found that it contained a lot of information that I could share with my students. Janice

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers