Forums

Forums / Research in Science Education / Embedding Formative Assessment into the 5E Instructional Model

Research in Science Education

Embedding Formative Assessment into the 5E Instructional Model

This topic discusses these resources

Formative Assessment Probes: Embedding Formative Assessment Into the 5E Instructional Model
Formative Assessment Probes: Embedding Formative Assessment Into the 5E Instructional Model

This column focuses on promoting learning through assessment. This month’s issue includes an illustrative example of how formative assessment probes and formativeassessment classroom techniques can be embedded into a sequence of 5E lessons targeting the grades 3–5 disciplinary core idea, the amount (weight) of matter isconserved when it changes form, even in transitions in which it seems to vanish.

Author Post
Morganne Sweat Morganne Sweat 1195 Points

I found this article very helpful. I like the lemonade probe. The engage phase and the explore phase. It is important to use the 5E's : engage, explore, explain, elaborate, and evaluate. It also helps teachers think strategically about formative assessment and how it is integral to effective instruction. I think by using these steps it will helps students engage and evaluate their information better. Do any of you use this or these probes in your classroom? Are they effective?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I've been trying to embed more formative assessment into my online learning environment. Here is one article I wrote and another I found:

What are some other ways that we can modify formative assessment probes/techniques for the online learning environment?  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers