Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / First Grade Science

Early Childhood

First Grade Science

Author Post
Adrienne Bowman Adrienne Bowman 795 Points

Hello! My name is Adrienne and I am a first grade teacher. First grade is very busy with not much extra time in the day. Any advice/tips/examples on how to incorporate science into a busy day?

Samantha Moore Samantha Moore 20 Points

Hey! 

Do you have time during the day that you do read alouds? You could always incorporate books that have scientific topics into your read alouds. For example, 'From Seed to Pumpkin' by Wendy Pfeffer would make a great seasonal book and also talks about a first grade science standard, (1.EES.1). Plus read alouds are great for kiddos, as they get to hear you modeling reading skills. 

Riley Preuss Riley Preuss 1380 Points

Hello Adrienne! One thing I will say is to try your hardest to incorporate even just a little science into your day! It is so important even if it's a quick 5-minute lesson. Kids need to be exposed to this and it can be easy and simple! Take the time to look around outside at recess at the nature or weather to get that little bit of science in! A little bit of science can be incorporated within all subject areas like math as dealing with fractions to bake! During reading time, incorporate a book about science and or encourage students to independently read/look at books that talk about science! Doing little experiments can spark kids' minds like growing a little flower in the room and having someone water it each day! I hope this advice helps! 

Riley Preuss Riley Preuss 1380 Points

Hello Adrienne! One thing I will say is to try your hardest to incorporate even just a little science into your day! It is so important even if it's a quick 5-minute lesson. Kids need to be exposed to this and it can be easy and simple! Take the time to look around outside at recess at the nature or weather to get that little bit of science in! A little bit of science can be incorporated within all subject areas like math as dealing with fractions to bake! During reading time, incorporate a book about science and or encourage students to independently read/look at books that talk about science! Doing little experiments can spark kids' minds like growing a little flower in the room and having someone water it each day! I hope this advice helps! 

Anne Tapp Jaksa Anne Tapp 1288 Points

Adrienne,

How wonderful that you are incorporating this important subject into your curriculum. Science doesn't have to be a stand-alone subject. You can incorporate reading, writing, math, engineering, etc. NSTA's book, Picture-Perfect STEM Lessons, First Grade, Expanded Edition: Using Children’s Books for Three-Dimensional Learning is an example of this.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers