Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Welcome! New teachers and mentors

New Teachers

Welcome! New teachers and mentors

Author Post
Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Welcome to this forum for new teachers, mentors, and anyone who has ideas to share! Feel free to ask questions or offer suggestions by starting a new thread or responding to an existing one. We'll also check the content-specific forums for issues that might be relevant for new teachers.

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

I started my 5th year of science teaching this fall. As a former new teacher and not quite a veteran teacher yet, I would like to suggest the NSTA New Science Teacher Academy as a potential resource for newer science teachers. Here is a link to their webpage: http://www.nsta.org/academy/ The NSTA New Science Teacher Academy provides a wealth of resources for newer teachers. It was an amazing experience!!

Garth Rehberg Garth Rehberg 2775 Points

Hi everyone, I am a prospective teacher and I am student teaching the start of 2013. Due to the schedule and the emphasis on math and english, I will not be given more than 20 minutes of science. How I am I supposed to have students do real science using inquiry and problem based learning with only 20 minutes?

Garth Rehberg Garth Rehberg 2775 Points

Hi everyone, I am a prospective teacher and I am student teaching the start of 2013. Due to the schedule and the emphasis on math and english, I will not be given more than 20 minutes of science. How I am I supposed to have students do real science using inquiry and problem based learning with only 20 minutes?

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

Hi Garth, The real secret to a strong curriculum/lesson is to use the science and social studies (the other "lost" content area in a high stakes testing environment) to teach the reading and the math. In reading and language arts, focus on reading or working within the science content area for that day - give the students a purpose for their reading, and you may see an increase in skill and motivations, as students can see the "value" of the reading lesson. Also design the lab/activities to include the math lesson for the day. One of the biggest problems in education these days, in my humble opinion, is the disconnect between the content areas. Students are not taught to see the connections between reading, math, science and social studies. It continues to baffle me when students become "upset" when I require math in my science class with statements such as, "this is not math class, why do I have to do math?" For the content area or for the lesson to really "stick" students need to see how they all relate to each other - or the bigger picture. Otherwise, students tend to walk out of math class and forget the math they just learned, due to their "math only belongs in math" etc...mentality. I would recommend investigating the "Picture Perfect" lessons in the Learning Center and in the NSTA book store. They are "big picture" lessons that help students make the connections.

Alexandra Iglesias Alexandra Iglesias 4060 Points

I love the ideas you gave! It is true we now have to teach by integrating two or more subjects together (even though this doesn't give each subject it's proper instructional time). I was wondering what happens when you are teaching at a school where students need to have mastered a skill or information before a certain deadline... what happens? Do you stay until the students have learned enough to pass or do you keep proceeding and try to backtrack when you can? I've shadowed in several science classes and noticed students need all the time they can get to master these skills, and a science class that's twenty minutes is just crazy!

Treena Pieper Treena Pieper 440 Points

Is there anyone here from Hawaii, that would have any information for new teachers here? ANy information is good information? There is so much going on in my school and no one give you a briefing. what are some good tips and pointers i would need to know as a first year teacher?

Linda Froschauer Linda Froschauer 1370 Points

Do you have a mentor? That is one of the best ways to learn the aspects of school systems that are specific to a region. Find someone who is teaching or is recently retired who can provide you with an insider's peek into what is really happening in the schools. They can tell you what kind of support you can anticipate, what you really need to bring with you (mentally and physically) into the classroom, and how to go about looking for a position. If you can't identify anyone, find out who the President of the local teachers' association is -- give that person a call. I bet they can find a great mentor for you!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers