Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Interdisciplinary Lesson Plans

Elementary Science

Interdisciplinary Lesson Plans

Author Post
Danielle Bennett Danielle Bennett 365 Points

Hi! I am a current college student and a future elementary educator. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to effectively implement and create interdisciplinary lesson plans that connect science with the other subject areas. I would love to hear if anyone has any examples of interdisciplinary lessons they have implemented that worked well or lessons that they could have altered/improved. I have found that connecting science with other subject areas, such as ELA, math, and social studies, helps students to feel connected to the material and see different perspectives! I would love to hear from anyone who has any advice or input! Thank you!

Robyn Soronow Robyn Soronow 13865 Points

Hi Danielle, it is a great idea to connect science to other subjects. This is especially true if you are in a district that doesn't emphasize science teaching as much (something I have observed in my internships). There are a wealth of interdisciplinary lessons online. One of my favorite resources is NASA's Space Math (which integrates math and space science in engaging lessons). When teaching these, I would emphasize the interdisciplinary nature of the learning encourage student creativitiy. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers