Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / VIRTUAL RESOURCES FOR LABS

Distance Learning

VIRTUAL RESOURCES FOR LABS

Author Post
Rachel Yeupell Rachel Yeupell 510 Points

Hello everyone. I am currently a Junior studying at University to become an educator. As our world is constantly changing and technology is becoming more prevalent, what are some resources that you have found that work for virtual labs? I have seen a few, but the ones I have experience with were not very user friendly or demonstrated inaccuracies in the data/use of materials in comparison to real-life labs. Thank you for your help and guidance. 

Mark Rouse Mark Rouse 465 Points

Hey Rachel,

We use Phet simulations/labs. They have content available for lots of different Science fields, such as Earth and Space, Life and Physical. If you create a free log in you can find lab sheets that educators have created that go with the simulations/labs. 

Patricia Leazier Patricia Leazier 4502 Points

Rachel,

We use HHMI Biointeractive platform.  They have a variety of resources availble for educators.  These include: classroom resources, planning tools and professional development opportunities.  This site provides a marid of resouces for teachers.  100% teacher friendly!  

Patty Leazier (ABLE School Teacher)

If you are a biology teacher or middle school science teaher, here is a lesson I put together for owl pellet dissection with it's virtual link.  Here is the link for the activity. Virtual Owl Pellet Dissection

Attachments

If you are biology teacher or middle school teacher, here is an activity for photosynthesis.  Here is the link.   Activity: Leaf Photosynthesis

Virtual Field Trips.  This is a way to bring the Zoo into your classroom when finances are limited.  There are several Zoos that offer 'virtual' field trips along with teacher resouces.   Here is a link to a website that list and links several zoos and conversation projects:  15 Zoo Virtual Field Trips That Will Bring You Up Close With Pandas, Giraffes, and More

This website addresses DNA separations and gel electrophoresis.  This activity is geared more toward biology, biomedical, AP biology, and forensic science courses.  Here is the link to the website: Separating DNA With Gel Electrophoresis

Modelling DNA Structure.  Here is a link to a website that can be used to build and model DNA structure.  Virtual Lab: DNA (close-up & do-it-yourself)

Gel Electrophoresis.  This site is a virtual lab for gel electrophoresis.  Link:  Gel Electrophoresis

Climate Change NASA website.  Climate Time Machine. This website examines climate change over time and displays a series of visualizations shows how some of Earth's key climate indicators are changing over time.  

Here is a website that provides access to curated online learning and support materials and content creation tools, led by an international community of educators, learners and researchers.  It contains activities for biology and chemistry.

The MERLOT system

The CK12 website is great wealth of virtual tools...including simulations. I use this link for chemistry simulations. Use this link to access the website:  Ck12

Natural Selection Simulation.  Peppered Moth Game.  I am using it with my 8th graders.  Its a fun simulation for the students. 

Peppered Moth Game

Here is another very nice natural selection interactive simulation activity offered by Biointeractive.  Selection of Tuskless Elephants

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers