Forums

Forums / Chemistry / The use of liquid nitrogen

Chemistry

The use of liquid nitrogen

Author Post
Catherine Spitzer Catherine Spitzer 2250 Points

Liquid nitrogen can be used to show students how a liquid can make something frozen without having to put it in the freezer. Using it can make some fun activities that can excite students to see what might happen using a hot dog and an racket ball.

Michaela Aiello Michaela Aiello 330 Points

I like this idea about showing students how liquid nitrogen can turn a liquid into something frozen without having to put it in the freezer. I always see chefs on cooking show use it as a quick way to make ice cream. I think it would be fun for students to see this demonstration, and then they would get to eat the ice cream at the end.

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

There are ice cream shoppes in the phoenix area that use liquid nitrogen...the customers make their own ice cream this way. Field Trip?? lol

Angel Chan Man-Wai Chan 2585 Points

That sounds like fun. Great!

do you know of good places to go get liquid nitrogen? My only experience with it is as a child on a dairy farm...we kept our sperm for breeding stored in liquid N2!

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Wow Chris interesting application While nitrogen is a relatively inert gas liquid nitrogen is a cryo hazard Handling required special equipment. Not sire how easily or inexpensively one could get hold og this. Maybe if there is a chemical company in your area you could enlist one of the scientists for your demos

Another funny application...that most people would think is crazy. In my student teaching (in 2006)...my cooperating teacher did a demo with liquid nitrogen to show the rapid expansion of molecules from a liquid to a gas. So we went out to a field by the school, he put a small amount of liquid nitrogen into a 2 liter soda bottle, closed the lid and set it down...then we all walked away. He let it evaporate and expand for a few moments. He then pulled out his bow and arrow (he was an avid bowhunter) and shot an arrow at the 2 liter bottle and it had expanded so much that it exploded and there wasn't much of the bottle left. It was also extremely loud like a bomb had gone off.

Susan Walker Susan Walker 270 Points

Demonstrations is a great way to introduce students to a new topic.

Carmen Cruz Carmen Cruz 2125 Points

Students are always in "AWE" with this demonstration!

Elin Smith Elin Smith 10 Points

Amazing use of Liquid nitrogen. I am a teacher in a public school so it would be interesting to show this kind of uniqueness to the students. I would rather present it in simple manner to my students so that my students can enjoy this & learn something unique from this whole idea.
Thanks
Elin

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers