Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Activities for motion and force

Physical Science

Activities for motion and force

Author Post
Helen Edmonson helen edmonson 1010 Points

Hi, my name is Helen. I am a preservice teacher at Indiana University. I am looking for some suggestion for simple activities to demonstrate motion and force. This would be for a 4th grade class. Thank you!

Patti Schaefer Patricia Schaefer 2435 Points

The theme of the March 2008 issue of Science & Children was on force and motion. You might find some helpful ideas in the articles from the issue.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Here is a link to a journal article that has a classic lesson plan about roller coasters that students love. http://learningcenter.nsta.org/search.aspx?action=quicksearch&text=Teaching%20Through%20Trade%20Books:%20Roller%20Coasters You can teach a lot of force and motion with this lesson plan!!

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Helen, There are several resources in the Learning Center that you may wish to look at for ideas. Let me list aome and then encourage you to do a search using your own key words to see what else may already exist and contribute to your designing motion and force activities for your classes. Book Chapter Falling for Science: Physical Science May Be Simpler Than You Think By: Terry Kwan and Juliana Texley Grade Level: Middle School This journal article on Isaac Newton Olympics By: Carol Cox Grade Level: Middle School offers some interesting suggestions for establishing various stations around the room that engage students in motion activities. Here is the synopsis of the article: Whoever heard of middle school students playing basketball and holding long jump competitions during a unit on Newton’s Laws of Motion? During the Isaac Newton Olympics, students move through seven stations. At each station, students complete a hands-on activity that explores at least one motion concept. After each activity, students complete a short evaluation that reinforces what they have learned and how it relates to everyday life. Let us know if you find these resources useful. Thanks. Also thanks to others who chime in!!

William Struss William Struss 330 Points

Patricia Rourke, those are wonderful sources to draw from, I will add them to my ongoing list. When it comes to force and motion, what selections of children's literature would make for appropriate launch activities, as well as books which can be referenced throughout a unit? On my recent ventures to the library I have found difficulty in finding appropriate books for the fifth grade level which relate to effort, work, and force. I would appreciate any help from your areas of expertise!

Carmen Cruz Carmen Cruz 2125 Points

1. Roller Coasters out of insulating tubes-force, motion, potential, and kinetic energy 2. Wheels and axels- make a car out of simple materials These are both great STEM projects and so much learning!

Matt Bobrowsky Matthew Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Hi Helen, As others have indicated, there are many possibilities. Is there a particular standard or concept that you are trying to address? Matt

Perhaps it would be fun to offer the 5th grade students the opportunity to do inquiry into Force and Motion and then to write their own stories as a way to express their understanding of the pertinent science. They could take photos of what they do as well as incorporate their data. They could also make appropriate drawings to put into their 'science story books.' A featured book from the NSTA Press is: Force & Motion. Stop Faking It! Finally Understanding Sciences So You Can Teach it By: William C. Robertson, Ph.D. If you go to the NSTA Press Books by pulling down the Learning Resources & Opportunities Menu you can view the chapters in the book. Here is the abstract: Intimidated by inertia? Frightened by forces? Mystified by Newton’s law of motion? You’re not alone—and help is at hand. The stop Faking It! Series is perfect for science teachers, home-schoolers, parents wanting to help with homework—all of you who need a jargon-free way to learn the background for teaching middle school physical science with confidence. With Bill Roberton as your friendly, able—but somewhat irreverent—guide, you will discover you CAN come to grips with the basics of force and motion. Combining easy-to-understand explanations with activities using commonly found equipment, this book will lead you through Newton’s laws to the physics of space travel. The book is as entertaining as it is informative. Best of all, the author understands the needs of adults who want concrete examples, hands-on activities, clear language, diagrams—and yes, a certain amount of empathy.

https://www.georgiastandards.org/Frameworks/GSO%20Frameworks/4%20Science%20Alternative%20Integrated%20Framework%20Force%20and%20Motion.pdf this PDF for Fifth-Grade English Language Arts from Georgia lists some books that you may wish to consider. 1. Close to the Wind: The Beauford Scale by Peter Malone 2. Rockets by Ron Miller 3. How Can I Experiment With a Wheel? by David and Patricia Armentrout 4. How Can I Experiment With an Incline Plane? by David and Patricia Armentrout the pdf also offers other useful information on student preconceptions and enduring understandings. ~patty

This collection and information in this NSTA book may also be of interest. Even More Picture-Perfect Science Lessons: Using Children’s Books to Guide Inquiry, K–5 This is a collection of free resources related to the NSTA Press Book:Even More Picture-Perfect Science Lessons: Using Children’s Books to Guide Inquiry, K–5 . Even More Picture-Perfect Science Lessons delivers the whole package: teacher-friendly lessons, strong standards-based science content, and a kid-magnet formula that will get your students engrossed in science while they improve their reading skills.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers