Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Interactive Lessons

Earth and Space Science

Interactive Lessons

Author Post
Laregilon Hughes Laregilon Hughes 975 Points

Hello everyone, my name is Laregilon Hughes and I student teach at the University of Houston. Do you have any suggestions for an interactive solar system lesson for third grade.

Linda Cook Linda Cook 550 Points

Hi Laregilon. I like having 3rd grade students choose from among spherical objects of various sizes and colors (marbles, ice cream sprinkles, balls, BBs, balloons, etc.) to build their own solar system models. They would need to justify why they selected each object for the model, then explain what the model represents as well as its limitations. Later you might explain why it is not possible to represent both the distances and the sizes of the planets using the same scale within the same model. You might take your students outside to "pace out" a model of the relative distances between the planets.

Hallie Seals Hallie Seals 850 Points

OMG Linda! I recently taught a lesson using different balls to represent the planets in the solar system. Laregilon, I can help you with such lesson. I will email you the details of the lesson.

Hallie Seals Hallie Seals 850 Points

Hello All! Next semester I believe I will be placed in a lower grade, do you believe its appropriate for students in the first and second grade to keep a science interactive notebook? Your comments please!

Toneka Bussey Toneka Bussey 1928 Points

I definitely agree that science notebooks are great for lower grades!  I think they can express their thoughts and keep track of their learning with pictures or illustrations throughout their notebook if they are not able to articulate using the correct terminology.

Destiny Huggins Huggins 10040 Points

YES! Students as low as kinder should be able to draw and labeling their observations and build on writing skills. While in the beginning they will picture heavy, that is ok! 

GO COOGS!

Toneka Bussey Toneka Bussey 1928 Points

I agree i have some 4 yr olds that draw and label observations

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers