Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Discrepant Events

Physical Science

Discrepant Events

Author Post
Kaley Jones Kaley Jones 4090 Points

Hey there! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for discrepant events for physical science. Any ideas are appreciated. Also, preferably for the elementary level.

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Kaley, It is so cool that you asked for a discussion on discrepant events. We had a robust forum on this in the past and I will go and look it up and you may use it as a springboard for gathering more voices and comments of people interested in discrepant events. Meanwhile, take a moment and look at a collection that I put together on discrepant events from resources in the learning center. The collection was created for a previous school year so there may be additional resources in the learning center which are not listed. Would you like to try a search using the key words - discrepant events - and lead us to other items? We would appreciate hearing your voice again. Do you use them in your classroom, Kaley? patty ps, after posting this message, I noted the large number of resources which were theoretically listed. There is an error in the message. There are only 8 items in the collection, not thousands.

Hi again, Kaley, I put the words discrepant events in the blank space next to the SEARCH Community/People at the top of this page and found a few threads in forums that may snag your interest in discrepant events. I will give a brief listing of them below: 1. General Science and Teaching Forum: After school science & technology club Ninorta, after school programs can be a lot of fun. The students are always so excited to be there. I generally try to do discrepant events with my middle school students. They are quick and easy to do and always leave the kids scratching their heads. I have two favorite resources, one is Stev... by Sandy Gady > Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:02 PM 2. General Science and Teaching Forum Simple Ideas - Big Discoveries and a little discourse on why use discrepant events http://agpa.uakron.edu/p16/btp.php?id=discrepant-events Research Findings: There is little direct research evidence that using discrepant events promotes conceptual understanding. However, two of the practices included in this chapter (Lea... by Patricia Rourke > Mon May 27, 2013 7:59 PM 3. General Science and Teaching Simple Ideas - Big Discoveries I LOVE using discrepant events and allowing students to work through the questions. Witnessing student "wonder" is often the best part of teaching science. I look forward to including more of these "wonder moments" into my teaching every year. by Susanne Hokkanen > Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 PM 4. Elementary Science Pinterest Hi Courtney, I am currently a student and pinterest has been so helpful when coming up with lesson plan ideas. Pinterest can be used for all subject areas. A few things I have found when using pinterest to find lesson ideas in science include plant life, discrepant events, and ideas on teaching ... by Brittany Phillips > Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:47 PM See anything of interest, Kaley? patty

Earth and Space Science - discrepant events thread Discrepent events Have you looked through the NSTA publication Teaching and Learning With discrepant events There is a sample here http://learningcenter.nsta.org/files/PB271Xweb.pdf There are actually three books in this series http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936137497 ... by Pamela Auburn > Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25 PM

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Kaley,
The NSTA Press book that Patricia has provided above is an excellent resource. Several of the book chapters are available to download if you don't want to purchase the whole book. Also, you can access a collection of discrepant events that I put together a while back here:
Discrepant Events
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/share.aspx?id=Ug6XucyQFX
Hope this helps.
Carolyn

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Carolyn, Thanks for the Discrepant Events collection!! I downloaded it. Now the fun begins with looking through it. Betty

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

You're welcome, Betty. I added a few more resources tonight as well. Enjoy!

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Thanks again for the additions.

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

NSTA has two publications that are filled with Discrepant Events. They are called, “Brain-Powered Science: Teaching and Learning with Discrepant Events” and “More Brain-Powered Science: Teaching and Learning with Discrepant Events.” The bookstore link I http://www.nsta.org/store/search.aspx?action=quicksearch&text=Brain%20powered I have used these with my middle school students ant they love them. The nice part is they can be adapted to any grade level. Students are fascinated by them.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers