Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Engaged

Early Childhood

Engaged

Author Post
Griselda Hernandez Griselda Hernandez 240 Points

Hello, I know that when it comes to students especially in the smaller grade levels it is very hard for them to stayed focused and engaged. What are some ways that we can keep the students engaged and also understanding the material?

Ambriel Jacobs Ambriel Jacobs 1530 Points

Hello Griselda!

I am currently a senior studying elementary education at Wartburg College, so I believe that I can answer your question well. Young students love to engage in any learning that requires hands-on activities, dancing, singing, drawing, etc. If students are moving, they're usually happy. This said, it is also important to remember that students at a young age only have an attention span of a couple of minutes. In order for them to understand the material you are presenting to them, which will most likely take more than a couple of minutes, you must tie the concepts in with movement. Sing a song about the weather. Go outside, walk around, and take observations in a notebook. Not only do hands-on and active activities keep young children engaged, but they help them better learn material as they can make connections to what they are doing. Connections are they key to young learning!

With the above in mind, is there ever a time when young students should be in a traditional classroom environment? I cannot imagine a scenario where young students should be put in front of a lecture, as many students are in college. 

Ambriel Jacobs

LeRoy Attles LeRoy Attles 56535 Points

Hi Griselda

I am not sure what specific grade levels you are speaking of but younger students like hands on activities. Hands on activities provide engagement. Also a variety of activities also helps. When you have something that does not engage them make sure you have an alternative activity to share. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers