Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Safety Recommendations Article

General Science and Teaching

Safety Recommendations Article

Author Post
Kaitlyn Warner Kaitlyn Warner 315 Points

In this article, Dr. Ken Roy and Kevin Doyle condense information from the CDC about COVID-19 and present it to teachers as a guide for instructional methods and safety procedures. They tailor the information to science teachers, giving them ways to do their part in fighting the virus and protecting their students. The article begins with a list of school systems and devices that must be checked before the school opens and continues on to explain what must happen once the students are back in the classroom. Roy and Doyle provide a list of health issues that make one more immune-compromised, a list of symptoms, a list of what items and surfaces must be cleaned regularly in the classroom, and a protocol for sick days. They also explain extensively the importance of masks, how to properly wear a mask, and what kinds of masks are actually effective in preventing the spread of COVID-19. The most helpful portion of this article for science teachers is at the end; Roy and Doyle provide lab safety guidelines. Teachers must make sure they can socially distance their students and themselves, they must sanitize any shared material or surface after each use, and everyone in the room must wear goggles and a mask. Instead of leaving teachers to figure out how to juggle these new safety procedures on top of normal lab safety procedures on their own, this article also includes alternative ideas for labs during this pandemic. 

This article deserves a 10/10 rating. All the information is backed by research from the CDC and condensed in a helpful, convenient format. I would recommend that every science teacher read this.

Samantha Forero Samantha Forero 1085 Points

I believe that this is an article all current and future educators should read. I am very glad to have found it. The health, safety, and overall well-being of our students should be one of our main concerns during this time of COVID-19. We should continue doing further research so as to help our students in the best way possible.  

Rabab Nisar Rabab Nisar 475 Points

I think this article is a great piece that keeps teachers informed and updated on safety procedures and recommendations. In these trying times we have to make sure that our students health and safety is our number 1 priority. The information in this article is from the CDC and is very helpful for all educators but especially for science teachers. The article informs science teachers on how to fight off this virus and keep our students safe. The article goes into detail about how essential masks are and it also has a list of symptoms that you may experience if you do happen to get infected. This article is written very well and should be read by all educators. 

Chad James Capote Chad James Capote 200 Points

Mighty thanks for this. Really helpful and extremely important. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers