Forums

Forums / STEM / 3D Printers in the Classroom

STEM

3D Printers in the Classroom

Author Post
Molly McGinnis Molly McGinnis 2415 Points

3D printers are amazing!! I never knew how cool they were until I was invited to participate in a 3D printing lesson. The students at my school are completely enthralled by this device. They enjoy creating ideas to upload into the printer and use a trial-error process to see if their idea works! Recently we had a group of girls create a design for a bracelet. They were so cool that I had to create one for myself. I really think that 3D printers are something that all STEM programs should look into and fight to have in their classroom. It's a great creative outlet for many students! The resources you suggested might help me in the future if I am relocated to a different STEM program! Thank you!

Joe McIntosh Joe McIntosh 3345 Points

A 3-D printer sounds great! I work in a K-8 Center in an inner city school. We recently got an opportunity to participate in a program that taught us how Nike ideas are promoted by using a 3-D printer. It was amazing! Our students got a chance to create their own sneakers and run it through a 3-D printer; it looked so real! I'm praying that our school will soon be a recipient of a 3_D printer through this program!

Joe McIntosh Joe McIntosh 3345 Points

A 3-D printer sounds great! I work in a K-8 Center in an inner city school. We recently got an opportunity to participate in a program that taught us how Nike ideas are promoted by using a 3-D printer. It was amazing! Our students got a chance to create their own sneakers and run it through a 3-D printer; it looked so real! I'm praying that our school will soon be a recipient of a 3_D printer through this program!

Yoli Gonzales Yoli Gonzales 2165 Points

I just got a Makerbot Replicator Mini for my science lab. We are all very excited to have this new addition in our lab. However, finding lesson plans or a curriculum for 3D printers at the elementary level is challenging. Does any one have an idea of where I can find 3D printer curricular resources. I've downloaded City X and love it but I would like more ideas on how I can get my students grades 1 - 6 using it.

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

3-D printing the classroom is so exciting! My husband is also a science teacher and his school is just starting a maker's space this year with a Makerbot 3-d printer. I think there are unlimited opportunities here. I wrote about 3-d printers today on my blog: Share it! Science News for Teachers, Parents and Kids http://www.shareitscience.com/ I've included some info in the resources section to help with funding 3-d printers in schools, perhaps it will be helpful to you!

Paige Sydoruk Paige Sydoruk 910 Points

We have a 3D printer in our school. It's fantastic! Just watch out, because depending on the age group of the kids, it will need to be monitored heavily! Those things are expensive to fix!

Karen Henman Karen Henman 7155 Points

Thank you for the book recommendation. I just requested our library order it for us.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers