Forums

Forums / New Teachers / How to Save Money as a New Teacher

New Teachers

How to Save Money as a New Teacher

Author Post
Sidney Baumgartner Sidney Baumgartner 335 Points

Hello everyone! My name is Sidney Baumgartner, and I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College located in Iowa. In my science methods class, I presented a on the topic of saving money, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any useful, free resources they utilize or other advice that may help preservice teachers prepare for their future classroom. I can also share the resources I have gathered from my research and presentation. Thanks for all the feedback in advance! 

Justen Hug Justen Hug 505 Points

That is a very excellent topic Sidney, I am currently at studying education at a University as well. I do remember in previous science courses my professor's mentioning utilizing free science websites, unfortunately I cannot remember them. To save some money on supplies, I would recommend searching online. Unfortunately, no teachers that have experience on this matter has responded to your inquiry. Their input would greatly help.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Sidney -- Interesting and relevant activities and investigations don't necessarily involve expensive or elaborate equipment. Check out the articles in NSTA's journals (Elementary, Middle, High School) for ideas that could be used or adapted within budgets! Also, the NSTA reports has a column on Freebies for Science Teachers that highlight free or low-cost ideas. Here is this month's edition. -- Mary B

Estrell Mamonese Estrell Mamonese 240 Points

nice question

Lauren Cramer Lauren Cramer 2025 Points

As a new teacher, I know what I am about to suggest may be harder to do because you are so busy, but I highly suggest making your own materials. The reason why, you will find what works and what doesn't, you will learn and grow as an educator, once you perfect it, you can sell your original products on Teachers Pay Teachers. If you need to, definitely look for other sources that are not your own and learn from those. Just like our students, we are always learning. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers