Lt Biology Collection - Active lab-based Learning

Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Children's Books - Scientist Bio's - ?

Next Generation Science Standards

Children's Books - Scientist Bio's - ?

Author Post
Wenonah Vercoutere Wenonah Vercoutere 20 Points

Hi, I am looking for 2 - 4th grade level short biographical stories of famous historical scientists, such as Kepler, Curie, Einstein, Newton, Galileo, Hawking and others also, such as Harvey Nininger. Can someone point me in the right direction to find these? Thank you! Wenonah

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 90103 Points

Hi Wenonah,
I know this is not exactly what you were asking for, but I thought it might be worth a look. It DOES mention some biographies that you may want to obtain. It is a book chapter that provides some great ways to use scientists' biographies in science writing:
Using Biographies to Learn About Science and Scientists
You might also find this article useful:
Science Sampler: Stories of Scientists
Besides summarizing some well-known scientists, the article has a SciLinks URL where you will find gobs of resources for your students to check out on line.
Also, the Hall of Fame/Invention channels/nobel prize winners site has biographies of several Nobel prize winners.
Carolyn

Karina Alcala Karina Alcala 1550 Points

Thank You so much for all the resources. This is very help to have on hand.

Jennifer Oh Jennifer Oh 2540 Points

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely be adding these to my collection!

BRITTANY CAMPBELL Brittany Campbell 2050 Points

This will be very useful. Thanks for asking!!!

Wenonah Vercoutere Wenonah Vercoutere 20 Points

Thank you, these links will be very helpful! Best Regards, Wenonah

B G Sherry Alouidor 2075 Points

Throughout history, the greatest scientific minds have not only demystified the world with their discoveries, but helped shape how we live in it with their ingenious inventions. From Sir Isaac Newton to Charles Darwin to Albert Einstein and many more brilliant minds, here is a group of famous scientists who have made major advances in the field of science.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 36608 Points

A great resource to use is this 2014 Outstanding Trade Books Lives of Scientists. Kathleen Krull. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Great possibilities for integration; nature of science and NGSS connections, terrific nonfiction text. http://goo.gl/CAch3i Another resource is a book chapter called "Scientists Like Me" http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936959105.6

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers