Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Where Can I Find Out More About NGS standards?

Next Generation Science Standards

Where Can I Find Out More About NGS standards?

Author Post
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

I don't know what I would do without NSTA resources at my fingertips! The NSTA Portal for information about the NGS standards contains so much relevant information!
Among other things, it lists all of the upcoming webinars on the eight scientific and engineering practices contained in the standards. If you go to the URL above and scroll down to Calendar, there are 2 in September, 2 in October, 2 in November and 2 in December. I hope to see some of you at one or all of them. The first one is tonight, September 11, 2012: Asking Questions and Defining Problems. The complete list can also be found at:Preparing for the NGS Standards - Major Practices
Carolyn

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Carolyn and Arlene,

Thanks so much for posting other resources to continue learning about the NGSS. Arlene, I didn't realize that Stanford is also hosting NGSS web seminars! I will be looking into attending that web seminar as well. The General Science and Teaching has a thread with additional NGSS resources.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the NGSS in the upcoming months.

Maureen

The second in the series of NSTA webinars on the NGS standards is this evening, Tuesday, September 25th: Here is the link to get registered:
Preparing for the Next Generation Science Standards—Developing and Using Models

Matthew DeSilva Matthew deSilva 665 Points

How are the Webinars for the NGSS? Are they doing one on each strand?

Hi Matthew. Yes, there is a webinar for each of the scientific and engineering practices. You can go to the NSTA NGS weblink to see the calendar listing all of the webinars plus other information about the NGS standards. The three that have already been recorded are available to view as archived webinars.
Carolyn

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Update NGSS. Achieve is working very hard making all the changes requested in Spetember by the lead states.The next public draft will be available for review in the net month or so. It is very important you look at these carefully because you voice counts. Achieve has listened to our feedback and made changes which is why it is taking the time to get back out to us. KAthy

Angelo Laskowsky Angelo Laskowsky 2190 Points

I'm not sure if this was mentioned already. I missed seeing the first draft of the NGSS. Is there any way I can get a hold of a copy of them? My department is pretty concerned about them, since we're aligning our current standards to the common core standards and we don't want to have to redo all of this work again. We were told that they "looked pretty similar to what we have now" but, I know it'd set a lot of minds at ease if we could look at the first public draft.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

The next public draft of the NGSS will be in early December. At that time you will be able to give feedback on the standards for the last time as they are supposed to released in later March. Kathy

I posted the newest information about the second draft coming out on January 8 - 29th at the NGSS website. You can read about it at NGSS.
Also there is a webinar on January 7th that should be enlightening:
Details for registering at webinar registration.
Details of the webinar:
Title: How to Lead a Study Group on the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Second Public Draft
Target grades: K-12
Date: Monday, January 7, 2013
Time: 6:30-8:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Hope to see some of you there :-)
Carolyn

Okay, the next NGS webinar is this evening. Register here. It begins at 7:30 EST.
Details

Title: Introduction to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Second Public Draft
Target grades: K-12
Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Time: 7:30-9:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Note: New users should log in at 7:15 p.m. Eastern time for an introduction to NSTA web seminars.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers