Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Solids and Liquids

Elementary Science

Solids and Liquids

Author Post
Denigia Williams Denigia Williams 415 Points

When it comes to teaching second graders about solids and liquids, what would be an exciting way to start off introducing it to the students?

Marlee Boyle Marlee Boyle 1525 Points

Hello Denigia! My name is Marlee Boyle. I am a 3rd-year pre-service teacher majoring in Elementary Education at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa. I have a wonderful and tasty idea you can do in your classroom to introduce solids and liquids!

I created a lesson a while back called 'Making Ice Cream with Science'. When I created it, I focused on endothermic and exothermic reactions, but you can easily turn this lesson on making homemade ice cream into a lesson about solids and liquids. It would focus on how the reaction of ice and salt can change the state of the ingredients from liquid to solid. Here is a wonderful link I found online that may help you. It is specifically tailored towards 2nd grade. https://aroundthekampfire.com/2020/01/ice-cream-bag-changing-matter-experiment-second-grade.html

Some tips and tricks: You may need gloves or towels for this activity. It gets quite cold. And, you can find dairy substitutes if students are lactose intolerant. Hope this helps! 

Marlee Boyle Wartburg College

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers