Forums

Forums / New Teachers / What makes a good science teacher?

New Teachers

What makes a good science teacher?

Author Post
Riley Tagawa Riley Tagawa 645 Points

Hi there,

Growing up, I didn't have the best science teachers and it ended up being one of my least favorite subjects after graduating high school. It wasn't until college where I started to appreciate the significance of science, but given the distinctive atmosphere of college courses, I never got the chance to observe what makes a good primary/secondary science teacher. 

I want to be a good science teacher, but I'm just not too sure how to become one. If you have any stories or experiences you would like to share about a good science teacher you encountered, that would be great. 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I didn't think I was good at science and I certainly was not a straight A student in science courses in college. However, I absolutely LOVE science. My favorite science teachers, past and present, are those people who are passionate about science and they ask questions. When students want to know something, I tell them they have a great question, but I do not tell them the answer. I ask them how they can find the answer. My favorite science teachers made ME think/talk/and do. I'm not sure if I am a good science teacher, but I am sure that I am 100% in it and willing to learn, along with my students. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers