Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Bilingual Education

New Teachers

Bilingual Education

Author Post
Aylin Arredondo Aylin Arredondo 620 Points

As a student who is in her 2nd block in the education program, the pressure is getting real. My main concern about becoming a new bilingual education teacher is wondering if I will have all the resources to be able to best help my bilingual students. Are bilingual education teachers given all the resources necessary to be able to best help the students?

Julissa Santillan Julissa Santillan 610 Points

Hello Aylin! 

I am also in the education program at my university. I worry about that too and as far as I have seen at the school that I work at right now, they provide resources in Spanish for them. I have seen the teachers get their books in English and in Spanish. They do have to speak in both languages in the classroom as well 

JENNIFER LOZOYA JENNIFER LOZOYA 660 Points

Hello 

I am also on my second block and I totally understand your concern. I work as a paraprofessional with a second grade class. Like you said, I've seen that the teachers receive the textbooks both in English and Spanish but unfortunately, the teacher not always uses the Spanish book.

Aneth Jimenez Aneth Jimenez 550 Points

Hello Aylin, I am also in my second block of the education program and I too wonder what type of bilingual material we will will receive in the school district in which we end up teaching. As of now, I have been looking at different school districts to see who supports dual language education the most. Those are the school districts I am most interested in working in. I attended a TABE conference in January where people were able to attend to conferences of their choice and learned that Texas is trying to become a dual education state by 2024. If this happens, I am sure we will be receiving the adequate material to help our students achieve their fullest potential in bilingualism. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers