Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Good Communication with Students and Parents

New Teachers

Good Communication with Students and Parents

Author Post
Yaritza Garza Yaritza Garza 150 Points

Hello, I am on the road to becoming an elementary teacher. I would like to know ways to have good communication with my students, for them to feel free to tell me whenever they are going through something. Also, I want for parents to have the confidence to tell me whenever they don't agree with a decision I made or if they are going through a difficult situation. 

Rubycela Lopez Rubycela Lopez 170 Points

As a mom and future elementary teacher I believe I will focus on having a great communication with the parents. When I have met the teachers I have let them know that I am here and I provide them with my personal number and email. Now in days teachers use apps to communicate with the parents and share fun activities they do in classroom. I am not an expert yet but letting the students know that as teacher you are their for them. 

Abby Taplar Abby Taplar 185 Points

As a future elementary teacher I want to establish open lines of communication with my administration, peers, students and parents.  My question is however, how do I ensure these lines of communication are effective and we are all communicating in a respectful and appropriate manner.  What techniques can I adapt into both my public speaking skills and social intraction skills that will help promote this?  

Elizabeth Inselmann Elizabeth Inselmann 1395 Points

As a future teacher myself, I have some of the same concerns parents are busy how do you know when you have over-communicated to a parent? I do not want to overwhelm or annoy them.

All the best, 

Lizzy Inselmann

Lori Norwood Lori Norwood 11126 Points

Hello, my name is Lori.  I am currenty a senior attending Henderson State University specializing in Elementary Education k-6 degree.  I will do my interniship starting January 2022 and will graduate in May of 2022.  I like the question you asked. Communication is very important and I also would like it if the parents of my students would feel comportable coming to me with anything on their mind.  We should have a great repport with out students and parents.  I think as the years go by, it'll get easier. Those of you who have been teaching, any suggestions on how to handle a disgruntled parent?

Mya Violet Mya Violet 660 Points

Hello! There are three different ways that I have seen parent communication done in my placements. The first being Friday Folders. In these folders were all the student's graded work from the week and a note from the teacher. The parent had to sign and there was a space for them to respond to the note or list any concerns. The second way I have seen this done is weekly physical copies of newsletters a weekly update would go home on Friday for the upcoming week. Lastly, an email newsletter was the third way I saw. Personally, I saw the physical copies to result in more responses from parents. There are so many different options and so many different ways to connect with both parents and students. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying different methods either. Find what fits best for you and stick to it. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers