Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Getting students more interested in science

Elementary Science

Getting students more interested in science

Author Post
Magda Jimenez Magda Jimenez 1515 Points

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting my second graders more excited for animal adaptations or plant and animal needs? I am trying to find a fun video or book to accompany my 5E lesson. 

Gretchen Hausman Gretchen Hausman 150 Points

After reading an intro today to my students regarding animal adaptations, I asked them why we couldn't live in the ocean. They named all the structural adaptations that we didn't have. This led into discussions about animal adaptations in other biomes. Then the students got to discuss at their table groups an adaptation they wish they had. Next week we will be reading "What if I Had Animal Feet." There are several books like this (one about teeth and I think one about hair). If you have access to United Streaming or Study Jams there are great videos on both that give great illustrations of animal adaptations. I hope this helps you!

Malissa Corneh Malissa Corneh 925 Points

A coupe weeks ago I taught a second grade lesson on animal habitats. For engagement I showed a video about fresh water habitats using Brainpop jr. You could also find many great videos and resources from Pbs kids and Discovery ed.

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

A hands-on exploration of a living organism, such as pea seeds that you sprouted slightly ahead of time, earthworms, or goldfish in a bowl,  require more care than a book or video. But that is the point-- students will begin to think of how to keep that living organism alive and become invested in doing so. Then they become interested in continuing a science investigation.
('Feeder' goldfish are sometimes able to be returned to the pet store when the explor ation is over.)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers