Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / CO Adopts NGSS...Now What?!

Next Generation Science Standards

CO Adopts NGSS...Now What?!

Author Post

Hey friends - it has been a while for me to be back on the forums... Colorado has recently adopted NGSS and our district came into some money thru a Mill... They are piloting some new programs/curriculum.  Has anyone had experience with the following programs that could give me some feedback and your thoughts.  HMH Science Demensions -  Amplify Science-  Pearson Elevate Science -  Thank you -  Liz

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Hi Elizabeth,

I would recommend that you look at the NGSS@NSTA Vetted Resources selected by NGSS Curators available at the NGSS@NSTA Hub.

When you find a resource that you like to use over and over, click on 'Add to Library' and the page will be 'bookmarked' to your NSTA Learning Center library where you can easily find it later, annotate, recommend to others, and add to a collection to share as a bundle of resources.

Good luck!

Flavio.

Eric Gordon Eric Gordon 120 Points

I'm also curious if there are any other replies to this! Liz, I have just started previewing HMH Science Dimensions for high school biology. I've used a couple of their things in my classes, so I'm going to give it some time to see how the students respond. The text seems pretty comprehensive, but it's also confusing to follow all of the things they're talking about.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

We just adopted the NGSS in the past year. I work with a STEM team and we have been aligning our lessons with the NGSS for the past 3 years. Our parish does not use textbooks for science. In fact, when it was presented to teachers this year, there was no scope and sequence or any other guidelines given to teachers. Currently, the district is working with Amplify to plan for next year. In elementary, we have used the Picture Perfect Science Lessons, series to pilot lessons in some of our schools. You might be interested in the resources that have been vetted by NSTA. I use them often. http://ngss.nsta.org/

I would look at Amplify Science. Their materials have been vetted by teachers invovled in writing NGSS and are well-written. They will provide PD as well. They have worked with Lawrence Hall of Science to provide authentic science and engineering lessons and activities. 

Let's hope that the Colorado BOE adopts the revised science standards based on the Framework and NGSS. They vote for adoption June 13.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers