Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Using Clay in the Classroom

Elementary Science

Using Clay in the Classroom

Author Post
Francesca Blanco Francesca Blanco 405 Points

I would like to hear about some experiences of those who have experimented with clay in the science classroom (all grade levels are welcomed!) for the purpose of creating models. Particularly, I saw the example of creating an Earth model with clay to present Earth's layers.

Was creating these models actually beneficial to students learning the content? Or does it tend to be more of a 'cutesy' activity with little to no content acquired/ retained? 

Alexandra Bender Alexandra Bender 1548 Points

Hi Francesca,

I recently did an inquiry-based lessson on Earth's layers using color kinestetic sand instead of clay and would definitely recommend when you teach about Earth's model that you use clay, play dough, or even legos. Even though I didn't necessarily use clay because I came across a lesson that did clay I was still able to use sand and my students immediately were able to create their own model using sand and afterwards I asked all of them what the Earth's layers were and they knew. This was 5th grade by the way. I also did another activity where you use sand, gravel, and rocks, and the students have to tell you what Earth's layers are by saying 'sand is the core', 'gravel is the mantle' and then 'earth's crust is the rocks'. Yes, using clay is more of an interactive lesson but it's also an inquiry-based lesson and yes content will be acquired and retained. I also showed a video and then having them creating their own model, I didn't show them a model, they were able to tell me Earth's layers in the correct order. I do recommend using clay though because it will separate more and make it easier for your students but I do hope you end up doing this experiment because it really does engage the students interest and they will learn what you're trying to teach them and remember too. Hope that helps you.

Nicole Stump Nicole Stump 1785 Points

Using clay models in the classroom is a brilliant idea! It is hands on and visual. Students can see their learning and make their own version of Earth's layers. How do you go about cleaning up clay though? I want to try things like this in my future classroom next year, but I am always worried about the mess it will make. I do not want to ruin school property. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers