Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Student Interest in Science

Pre-service Teachers

Student Interest in Science

Author Post
Jazlynn Flores Jazlynn Flores 750 Points

How do I cultivate an interest and motivation in Science for my students if I myself am not motivated or interested in it?

Danielle Bennett Danielle Bennett 365 Points

Hi Jazlynn! This is a great question because I have found that some elementary educators may not be interested in or enjoy certain subjects they have to teach in the classroom, but they still have to teach these subjects and make the students interested. I agree with Shamara that in order to cultivate an interest and motivation in science for both you and your students, you can implement hands-on activities. I think that science content can often be a lot of information, but giving students fun and engaging activities/labs to complete will make them more interested in the material and remember the content. This may also make you interested in the material and science in general! For example, this week I taught a lesson about sound waves to the students in my classroom and the content we covered could be slightly confusing for the students, so to get them interested and engaged, I had them make a string telephone. The students loved this activity and I became interested in the content through the process of creating and implementing the lesson. I think as you grow as an educator your motivation in science will grow, but finding a balance and trying to implement topics you are interested in may help as well!

Bianca Hunsinger Bianca Hunsinger 495 Points

Hello Jazlynn! This was a great question to ask because I personally find that when a teacher isn't interested in the subject they are teaching, it is hard to get the students interested as well. Often when a subject doesn't spark interest, finding a way to teach it is hard. Using a fun way to teach, for example, a hands-on activity, gets both the students and the teacher interested. Students always find working on experiments fun and gets them eager to learn. This is a great way to get students and the teacher interested in the material. Steering away from using textbooks and worksheets all the time and breaking up the material with something fun and exciting will make the learning experience even more enjoyable for all. 

Shamara Coronado Shamara Coronado 630 Points

Hello Jazlynn Flores, I would say a way that could keep you motivated is by possibly doing hands on activities within the science classroom. That is what makes me feel encouraged and more motivated, because it is a lot more fun than just paper work assignments, and not only for us as the educators, but it would also have the students feeling motivated within the classroom as well. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers