Forums

General Science and Teaching

Flash cards

Author Post
Mary Ann Ng Mary Ann Ng 3385 Points

How do you use flashcards in class? I have been requiring students to turn in flashcards for review. Usually I ask them to define the word ( using their own words), draw and come up with a personal way of remembering the world. But after that, I don't really know what follow up activities they can use the cards for. This year I am teaching AP Bio. Initially, I did not require them to do so. But there are roughly 100 words already to remember for Evolution. I am thinking of requiring them to do flashcards but I'm not sure about the logistics and also I am not sure whether these will be effective or not. Any thoughts?

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

I am wondering about using a strategy called 'card sorts' from Page Keeley's book.

Science Formative Assessment: 75 Practical Strategies for Linking Assessment, Instruction, and Learning

You would provide the students with two to three ways to sort their flashcards under your chosen categories.

Hope this is helpful

Kathy

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

I'd second the idea of a card sort--it's a way to get students talking and thinking and connecting words. But I would not assign the categories. Let the students come up with their own way of organizing the terms. When you debrief afterwards, ask them to explain their strategy. I'm trying to visualize what a stack of flash cards for 100 words for Evolution would look like. Is this for one unit or for the entire year? Mary B.

Kaitlyn Quinn Kaitlyn Quinn 1465 Points

I think that flashcards are a great way for students to study. However, I don't think that it works for every student to study flashcards on their own. You could have the students get into partners and utilize both of their stacks of flashcards to make a matching game. You could also turn the flashcards into a game where you read the definition of the word and two students try and say the answer first. Then the student who answers it correctly first gets to move on and go compete against the next student. Knowing that there will be a fun review game might also help to motivate them to study the cards on their own.

One way is once they have the cards have them draw two from the stack randomly and then come up with a description of how those two cards are wither related or unrelated. Not sure AP Bio needs to do this or not.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers