Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Keeping the students engaged

Early Childhood

Keeping the students engaged

Author Post
Rebecca Torres Rebecca Torres 430 Points

Hello everyone, I am a student at UTRGV in the education program. I am currently learning many ways to help students stay engaged in any subject. Although I am unsure when it comes to teaching science. It was one of my favorite subjects as a high school student, but I don't remember much about elementary. how do you keep the fun in science for yourself, and for your students? What do you do to keep the students engaged in your class?

Noemi Salas Noemi Salas 390 Points

Hello Rebecca, keeping students engaged can sometimes be considered difficult because every student has a different attention span and or interested in different things but younger children usually tend to gravitate towards colorful illustrative content so even with science implementing fun colorful videos can be a perfect way to engage the students.

Perla Marroquin Perla Marroquin 300 Points

Hi Rebecca, science is an engaging subject especially for elementary students. There are a lot of hands-on activities that an educator can bring into the classroom in order to keep the students engaged. I like to think of it as if the educator is a 'Science wizzard' and they come up with activities to conclude the lesson that they will be covering.

Ana Cobarrubias Ana Cobarrubias 95 Points

Hello Rebecca, keeping students engaged might have seemed difficult since many students learn in many different ways. I would say showing them experiments and having them do hands on activities to keep them engaged.

Tania Correa Tania Correa 105 Points

Hey Rebecca, I'm a student as well so I do not have much experience in the classroom, but I believe science is a subject where you can do a lot of hands-on activities, I would recommend you check out some Pinterest ideas, they are always very creative, I suggest that because I myself aren't much of a creative person, but there are many experiments you can try!

Lauren Stafford Lauren Stafford 210 Points

Hi Rebecca! I am also in the education program and one thing that we have been learning all semester is how to keep students engaged! One thing we really focus on is fun experiments that everyone can participate in. There are so many options out there for easy experiments that really get your students interested in your lessons. 

Karen Adame Karen Adame 350 Points

Hi Rebecca! The good thing about science is there is so many fun projects you could do with chidlren to keep them engaged. I know as a child in elementary, I loved hands on activities. I still remember when we planted a bean plant and watched it grow, and got to take it home after a couple of months. We worked on our plants daily and it gave us something to look forward to keeping us engaged. Assignments like these not only teach children about photosynthesis and the plant life cycle, but also let's the children work hands on in real life experience. 

Leslie Melendez Leslie Melendez 370 Points

Hello Rebecca I remember from elementary I would have fun with science because this subject was very hands on. I enjoyed all the projects we did because it helped me gain a better understanding with the subject, while learning as well. So although I don't teach yet, I think this would be a way to keep my students engaged by having them do fun activities where they can learn and have a visual of what I am teaching them.

Rachel Lewis Rachel Lewis 550 Points

I am currently in a second grade classroom this school year at my placement and how my cooperating teacher and I keep the students engaged are usually by discussions, pictures, and hands on activities. For one of our discussions, we asked the students how the sun helps us in our everyday life? Most of the students were very focused and raised hands and told us why the sun helps them and how it helps the environment. Later that day, we went outside to look at the sun and to see what it helps outside. Most of the students ran to us and showed us flowers and trees, showing us the roots where the water needs to go and the sun to help it grow big and tall! Other students told us that the sun helps everyone see and that's when you know it is morning/daytime. I could see that students wanted to learn more and it's easier for them when being outside, because they can ask and point out things to us. If we can't go outside next time, then that's when we bring out the poster board and start drawing and thinking of things for the next topic.

MADISON MILLS MADISON MILLS 350 Points

Hello Rebecca, I would suggest teaching the kids first how to become their own instructor. I would suggest making the classroom a space where all discussion and ideas to be shared. Let the kids choose what they find important and interesting. I think you will do great, good luck! 

Brittany Bottles Brittany Bottles 320 Points

Hello Rebecca! When keeping students engaged I believe it is important to have multiple different strategies and not use them all at one time because once kids get in a routine with one of your strategies they will need something new to keep them interested. One thing I have seen used as I observe classrooms is manipulatives. Students love things they can get their hands on. Explain to them all the fun tools you use in science and other subjects and help them to understand how to use them. Students enjoy materials more when they feel like it is a big deal to use them, so make it a big deal and let them know how special they are for being able to use the different manipulatives. The more excited you are, the more excited they will be! Also, a fun online resource I was introduced to is Mystery Doug. Mystery Doug is a guy who takes science questions posed by kids and answers them in a fun interactive way by creating mini-lessons and full lessons with resources attached. My students last year loved Mystery Doug, so don't be ashamed to include a video when they are needing an educational brain break! Hope these couple of ideas are useful!

Natalie Leal Natalie Leal 230 Points

Hi Rebecca, although I am also still a student in the UTRGV education program, I would say that the best way to keep the fun in science for yourself, and for your students would be with a lot of hands-on activities relating to the subject. I think that a good way to keep the students engaged would be having science experiments that help you with teaching your lesson in a way that the kids are able to visually see what is going on in your science experiment and how it relates to the lesson. 

Lori King Lori King 1050 Points

Student engagement is always on the fore front of my lesson planning. Science is usually fun and hands on so students love it and are engaged in lessons. Hands on lessons are always my number one way to keep students engaged. 

Deyla Rodriguez Deyla Rodriguez 380 Points

Hello Rebecca, 

I am a student at UTRGV in the education program as well. I would say to implement the students interest into experiments and this will allow for them to be engaged in science. For the students to enjoy science it is always great to have hands on activites and assignments. 

Deyla Rodriguez Deyla Rodriguez 380 Points

Hello Rebecca, 

I am a student at UTRGV in the education program as well. I would say to implement the students interest into experiments and this will allow for them to be engaged in science. For the students to enjoy science it is always great to have hands on activites and assignments. 

Ysabel Silguero Ysabel Silguero 700 Points

Hello Rebecca,

Just like you, I am a student at UTRGV and in the Education Program. One of my favorite hobbies is arts and crafts and research shows that one of the best ways to engage students in content learning is to incorporate the arts and crafts while conducting a hands on activity. Because of students' openness to the arts, their motivation remains high, their attention spans tend to be longer, and their learning increases. If you feel you struggle with how to incorporate the arts and crafts, no matter what type of the arts you desire to bring into the classroom, whether it be music, visual art, creative writing, or dance, the student will be engaged as long as you connect the subject content to the art. 

Regina Rios Regina Rios 390 Points

Hello Rebecca, in oder to get your students to be engage in whatever it is that you are teaching I recomend doing hands on work. Since it is science, having students doing handson will help them learn and also they would be engage in completing the aasignment.

Lucero Garza Lucero Garza 485 Points

Hello Rebecca! I remember one of my favorite ways to remember topics in science class was by participating in hands-on learning activities. Since i am a tactile learner it gave me great benefit in memorizing new science concepts. I would recomend teachers to use different teaching styles when conducting activities such as visual, aufitory and hands on learning to cater to every students' needs.

Megan Campbell Megan Campbell 290 Points

Hello! 

I am also a preservice teacher right now and I have been learning about how to foster authentic learning in the classroom. I think a great place to start with keeping students engaged is helping them question and create possibilities in the classroom. Also making sure that students feel comfortable to share differing opinions and fostering productive conversations, disagreements and conclusions. I think letting students share their findings or point of view and helping them feel heard will encourage them to stay present during class. 

Tyler Stabley Tyler Stabley 140 Points

In terms of teaching science, I would say the best way possible to keep students engaged is to keep the lessons as hands on as possible. Having the students participate in 'fun' labs and experiments is an effective way to keep them interested while also teaching the material. 

Taylar Copen Taylar Copen 480 Points

Hi Tyler, I agree with your statement. I think the best way to keep students enagaged is to allow them to be actively participating. By doing hands-on actvities it allows the students to connect science ideas with hands on materials so that they can connect these topics to the real world. 

Dale Dale Dale Dale 60 Points

Hi there! I am a daycare teacher, working to be a elementary school teacher. We do science labs with my daycare children once a week. One thing that I like to do with my children is to build up the susspence. Doing this gets them super interested and excited to see what we will be doing. Another thing that I like to do with my children is to show them a video of what we are doing. I will pause the video and ask them questions throughout. We will also make predictions and discuss what we think will happen and why. 

Mallory Kelley Mallory Kelley 80 Points

Hi Rebecca, I like to keep students engaged with hands-on work that they can relate to. Encourage your students to show the work they created and finished to you or the class. Let your students decide how they want to learn and actually listen to their requests. Mix up how you teach and make things interesting by adding various media and hands-on activities. Group work is another great way to keep the students on track. 

Shandreka Hill Shandreka Hill 470 Points

Hello, I'm a student in the Education program at GSU. I think keeping the students engaged is the most important but challenging part about teaching. In my first semester what stood out the most from all my education classes and professors is establishing a rapport with the students. Learning to present information in different cultural approaches is the key to a succesful connection. The students will have similiar but different learning styles so being able to adapt quickly but efficently is a skill that an educator has to possess. My suggestion is to use alot of representational strategies like hands-on activities and applications of the 21st century since technology and social media is what this millennium of children has been exposed to. Creativity and enthusiasm is the energy and atmospher the classroom should be structured around.

Yasmin Moreno Yasmin Moreno 250 Points

Hello! I am a student in the Education program at UTRGV. I currently work as a Teacher's aide in a school near me. What I have noticed that the Kinder teachers do to keep the students engaged is by doing many hands on activities as well as asking the students many quesitons. For example, (an apple life cycle) what happens if we put the seed in the soil? From there what should we do? Water it and put it in the sun. How long do you think it will take for the apple to grow? This helps the students review what they learned and what might happen next. So they will do a hands on activity and then do a worksheet to review what they just learned. 

Olivia Pulfer Olivia Pulfer 190 Points

Hi Rebecca I as well am a student in the education program. I do not have much experience teaching by myself, but I believe science is a subject that can be one of the most fun and engaging subjects. You can have hands on activities for students learning about certain subjects. Some hands on activities I've seen done in the past or found on pinterest were the moon phases with oreos, designing pool noodle rollercoasters, making smores with a solar oven, and many more. I hope you can find great ways to keep your kiddos interested in such a fun subject to learn about!

Amber Baker Amber Baker 530 Points

Hi Rebecca, 

I am also a student-teacher. This year I am placed in a second-grade class with 17 students. I have always loved school, so for me personally being engaged in elementary school was never an issue. 

I do not have a lot of experience at all, with teaching science. At my last placement, I started halfway through the school year and my CT already covered science in the first half.

What has worked for me when teaching other subjects is finding out what the students are interested in and then connect your lesson to that. I have found out that a lot of hands-on activities work best. My children loved when I created an interactive board game for a phonics lesson. 

I already found a fun activity with a jar of water, shaving cream, and food coloring to show how clouds make rain and the water cycle. 

Megan Hardesty Megan Hardesty 500 Points

Hello, Rebecca! As someone who is also in an education program, I find that it's important to remember that every student learns differently. Keeping every student engaged can be difficult, but I believe that the key is to plan for every type of learner in your class. Include physical activities, outdoor activities, experiments, songs and/or videos, guided readings or read alouds, etcetera. One activity might not engage every single student, but a variety of activities can help to satisfy every learner and keep them engaged and excited.

Alexis Van Den Broek Alexis Van Den Broek 3800 Points

Hi Rebecca,

To keep students attention I like to move around the room a lot and move my hands. I also like to use attention grabbers and fun little sayings to get their attention as well! Good luck! 

Makaila Saylor Makaila Saylor 690 Points

As an educator, it's important to understand that all children and students may not be engaged in a lesson. This may be due to multiple contributing factors including academic challenges with reading, ADHD/ADD, or lack of interest in the subject matter. Engaging students with hands on lessons where students are active participants in their learning is a great way to foster independence in our scholars and include them in the facilitation and actions of the lessons. If students are able to participate with the materials and lesson in a meaningful way, the more likely they are to engage and remember the concepts taught in the lesson. This means that we as teachers are reaching the audience and contributing to the way that a student is able to recall and demonstrate their knowledge on what the lesson is about. Furthermore, creating an environment where a student feels comfortable and excited by what is around them, without being distracting is also important. Last year, my third graders were learning about non-living versus living things. For this lesson, we went outside and observed earth worms. We noted physical characteristics of the worms and classified what makes an organism living. The students were able to use magnifying glasses and tweezers to pickup the worms and look at them. They ALL had a blast and each and every single student participated and was able to distinguish the differences and similarities between non-living and living organisms. This was because they had fun and we're able to fully participate by using materials and acting like a scientist. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers